Menu
C0deM0nkey
Dialled in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Port Landline number to VoIP, Remove phone only from package (keep internet & TV)

Looking for guidance on how best to approach change - particularly appreciated from anyone who's done similar.

We currently have 200/20 internet, Mix TV and phone service from Virgin.

I'm looking to plan out how to port our existing phone number over to a VOIP provider and drop the phone service from our package without any service interruptions for Internet and TV.

I'm aware that the number port is requested by the new service provider, and am confident in their experience (I've dealt with them before on a B2B level).

However I'm concerned that VM may not handle this correctly and cannot risk service interruptions, unexpected contract termination, etc. (we are both working from home full time for the foreseeable future).

Has anyone done this successfully? Best approach? Any tips welcome.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Port Landline number to VoIP, Remove phone only from package (keep internet & TV)

If you don't have an acceptable, tested contingency option (eg mobile phones, and hotspotting for internet access), then the only tip I'd offer is that maybe now isn't the time to do anything that might get messed up?  Surely you could wait a couple of months?

VM are working with low staff levels, and that's magnifying the company's inherently poor internal communication and broken processes, so there is probably a higher chance of it going wrong.  Of, if you have to, contact your VOIP provider, get them to put the line in with a temporary number, and when that's up and working, have them port the existing number?  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
C0deM0nkey
Dialled in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Port Landline number to VoIP, Remove phone only from package (keep internet & TV)

@Andrew-G wrote:

If you don't have an acceptable, tested contingency option (eg mobile phones, and hotspotting for internet access), then the only tip I'd offer is that maybe now isn't the time to do anything that might get messed up?  Surely you could wait a couple of months?

Thanks for responding.

I can indeed wait a couple of months, and intend to; this is why I posted that I was looking to plan the change out. I completed a telecomms change for my employer last year that would have failed miserably without several months of planning. I intend to approach this move in the same manner.

I have a lot of moving parts to consider to complete the move away from a physical landline - the house alarm is connected to it for one thing - but the only unknown quotient in the task ahead is how VM handles such requests.

0 Kudos