Menu
djr_uk
Dialled in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Phones for elderly mother

Hi all,

My mum is finding it more and more difficult to get from her chair in the lounge to the phone in the hall especially because it seems to be going to answer phone after 4 rings or so. we currently have a fixed phone plugged into the telephone socket in the hall.

1) is there a way to change how many rings it takes for a phone to go to answer phone

2) is there any recommended wireless phones which work with virgin media which may allow me to have the phone in the lounge for her to use but the socket for the phone is still in the hall?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on home landlines in advance!

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phones for elderly mother

All new cordless phones will work with Virgin, I would reccomend getting a pack with 2 or 3 in it so the base unit can stay in the hall next to the socket and the sattelite units can be placed wherever you want wirelessly.

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi djr_uk

Thanks for posting.

I'll be more than happy to get the rings extended. I'll PM you now to arrange

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Agree with the suggestion of jb66 that a cordless arrangement would work best. If you got one with an answering machine you could configure all the settings for that yourself and dispense with the VM voicemail.

Panasonic and BT cordless phones are popular ranges. Worth checking online reviews for your chosen model before buying. Both these brands have some negative mentions for build quality and for sound level and sound quality for older users as well as the ability to easily seat the phone back in the cradle after use for charging. Both do big-button ranges as well if that is relevant. The Siemens Gigaset range are also worth looking at but may be a bit more expensive (although build quality is normally good).

You could also look at phones with call blocking features to deal with nuisance calls (although there have been a few mentions on the forums of issues with these in relation to caller ID for the BT and Panasonic brands). Again, check reviews for your chosen model before buying.

Whichever ones you go for, buy from a supplier with a good returns policy in case you run into any technical issues with them or your mother doesn't get on with using them.

0 Kudos