cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phoneline is cutting off mid call

alanrostaylor
Tuning in

This problem is identical to Sheebs65 - it started occurring shortly after the switchover to internet connected phone in the summer.

The situation is we only make about one call on a sunday  - the rest are incoming and are of short duration. We have delayed making a complaint in the hope that everything would "bed in" and settle down - but it has`nt !!!!!!!!!!!!

The one call my wife makes to her friend (every Sunday at 10.30 am) should last abour 40 mins but after 30 mins the call is cut and my wife has to re-ring to re-establish contact which is often lost again, much to her extreme annoyance. This evening she received a call (from a neighbour who also has a Virgin phone ) which was lost after 3 mins. On re-connect the neighbour confirmed that she was often getting the same problem. (Thatcham)

I have been re-booting the modem every Sunday to ensure the speed and connection is working - and it always is. I will continue to do this but in future I will also dis- connect and reconnect the phone line to the modem in the hope thos will help - but I would prefer not to !!!!!

Please advise that our problem is receiving atttention and will be resolved. :- regards

Alan Taylor

37 REPLIES 37

This problem is still not resolved.

On Sunday 7th May my wife made her normal Sunday call to her relative which lasted 38 mins with no problem.

This Sunday14th May the call lasted 13minutes before cut off - on reconnection the call lasted  6 mins and then failed and then  30 seconds - at this point the relative decided to call back on her mobile - this connection lasted 11 minutes ok until the call was mutually terminated. My wife then rang her brother on the land line - this call lasted 5 mins before failure- reconnection lasted 4 minutes and then failed. - she called him back just to apologise and terminated the call. We are fast losing confidence in Virgin`s ability to provide a reliable service.

Hi @alanrostaylor 

Thanks for coming back to the thread.

Upon doing a diagnostic check, one of the upstream channels is showing as on it's way out of spec. 

I'll send you a PM now to send a tech out for this and they'll also check the phone system again.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thanks for joining me on PM @alanrostaylor and confirming your details so we could confirm the tech visit. The visit will be viewable shortly in your online account - virg.in/myVM - where you can cancel/amend if needed.
There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment
Let us know how the visit goes and do also pop back if you ever need further assistance.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Following my latest post I attempted to report the latest failure to 150 via the land line. I connected to the call centre and started to report the fault again but the connection failed after 5 minutes. Connection was re-established with the call centre only after they rang back on my wifes mobile number which they had sensibly taken during the 5 minute connection. When first trying to reconnect via the landline to 150 it appeared the internet had gone down and we waited for mobile call from the Centre. This second connection operative connected ust to a phone fault department who arranged a Technician attendance for tomorrow . They also stated they would monitor the connection for 24 hours..After this call I saw Jphn GS  forum entry which I am thankful for.

I am not yet aware of the meaning and validity of the "upstream channel out of spec"  and if this is the root of the problem. It is my intent to question the attending Techniciam on this fact and whether it is peculiar to me or local to my area and if it directly can cause the problem being experienced and how easy it is to resolve .

On previous visits the techs have been diligent in examining all of my equipment and connections and found them in order after suitable replacement of dated connections.

Hi @alanrostaylor 

Thanks for coming back to us. It may not fix it but as the phone is connected to the internet, we'll need to make sure all your levels are in specification.

Please do let me know how the visit goes.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

alanrostaylor
Tuning in

The third engineer attended today within the allotted time,He quizzed me extensively on the nature of the fault and the performance of the iinternet. After looking at the performance which did show their were minor frequent interuptions to the signal he was not impressed and he decided that a better Modem/Router should be fitted  that could better handle the signal efficiently.   It would appear although I was unaware of internet signal "dropouts" the phone signal would be and cease even though the main  internet would carry on regardless. This sounds very plausable and fits this particular location - i.e the connection was always poor (unoticed by me ) and was highlighted only when the Phone connection was changed in the summer (it needed a stable signal more than ever) to function without loss of connection.

He did measure the levels after fitting the new Modem and pronounced them excellent compared to the originals. He does not guarantee that this will resolve the problem but was fairly confident that it might. I am more hopeful than before - I will report back on a weekly basis until a meaningful point is reached.

regards AlanRos

Thanks for coming back to us with an update after todays technician visit, I hope that this has resolved your issues but please do let us know, if you have any further problems.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

I have not been reporting back on a weekly basis but now feel confident that the fault has been rectified by the replacement of my hub with the latest version.  The "flaky" broadband connection was not noticed by me and the weekend Phoneline failures were the result. I am surprised that this fault took so long to resolve given the understanding that Virgin must have had on the integrity needed between the broadband connection and the phone line transmission.

I do feel that this Forum and the attention of the three engineers that attended is worthy of praise for their positive approach and (apparent ?) eventual success .

AlanRos