Menu
dggober
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Phonecalls suggesting phone is hacked

Phone ringing and appear to be returning calls form my phone number which I am not making.

What is going on and how can I contact virgin to ask about it?

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phonecalls suggesting phone is hacked

One possibility is that your phone number has been used at random as a fake caller ID by someone. There are other possibilities (some of which are innocent in nature).

Have the people who have phoned you said what they were calling about? Is there a common theme or reason to why they are ringing you?

0 Kudos
dggober
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

They say they are returning calls made from my line/number

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@dggober wrote:

They say they are returning calls made from my line/number

I was asking more along the lines of what the call they had received was about (when they answered, who was on the end of the line e.g. someone claiming to be from computer support, claiming to be a bank, a silent line etc. etc.) which would suggest the caller ID spoofing reason.

Anyway, the spoofed numbers are often only in use for a short time before they pick another number to spoof so hopefully the return calls back to you should die out on their own.

Other genuine/innocent errors which have come up on the forums in the past include things like businesses issuing advertising/materials with phone number typo errors which belong to someone else etc.

If they persist you would need to investigate further.

0 Kudos