Menu
Gimmer
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Phone via Hub

While trying to move my landline the old GPO kit kind of disintegrated and the line is now dead. I have plugged the phone into the V3 hub via an ADSL lead but I am getting no signal. Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Phone via Hub

Hello

An ADSL filer is not what you want.

Is this a new install of Virginmedia as only new installs will get the phone line through the hub.

Can you goto http://192.168.0.1 and note if "Telephony" is enabled ?

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Gimmer
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have not used an ADSL filter, just a cable I had. It is not a new install. I used the link you gave and typical of Virgin Media it does not recognise my password!
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

If it isn't a new install then the chances that the phone line comes down a separate cable which should be terminated in a VM branded telephone box. So the hub will not be enabled for the telephone part.

How did you previously have the phone connected ?

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Gimmer
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It is not my password required but the number on the bottom of the Hub. Unsurprisingly it is not enabled, so another con from Virgin about a service I cannot get. Has the same issue when TV anywhere was launched.
0 Kudos
Gimmer
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As I said in my post I was using a landline when I tried to move point and it disintegrated. I have no idea where all the coloured cables go and I dont want to mess about, and as I have thought about using VOIP before this seemed the time to give it a go. Oh if it was only that easy. I run my business from home so this is a real issue for me.
0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If your home phone connections are wired through anything with GPO branding on it, then that is ancient and should probably be replaced anyway.

Do you have more than one telephone socket in the house? If so, are all the sockets not working?

The newer 21CV telephone connection from the back of the hub is offered to new customers and is sometimes used as an alternative to repairing existing faulty landlines as I understand it.

Worth noting though that, if you use wired telephone extensions around your home at the moment, you should make sure they are also reconnected when/if you are converted to 21CV via the hub. Seems to be a bit of a hit and miss process as to whether that actually happens each time though based on some of the posts on here.

You would probably be best phoning in the fault by mobile. General wisdom on here seems to be to ring early at 08:00 for the best chance of getting through. A forum team member will respond on here but a reply could take upto a week.

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gimmer, thanks for your post - sorry for the delay getting back to you. 

I'm also sorry to hear about the problems with your landline. To help further with this I will get in touch via PM and hope to hear back from you soon. 

Tom

0 Kudos