Menu
pageyboy
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Phone through Hub 3

We have our telephone via traditional means, a wall socket that Virgin installed nearly ten years ago. I  was told by an engineer today through an unrelated visit that you can get calls via your hub. He shown me two sockets at the back of it. All this time I didn't even notice them. Is there any benefit to this i.e. clearer calls etc? 

I was thinking at some point of putting my hub in modem mode and buying my own router. Would this affect the phone connection from the hub if it is in modem mode?

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Phone through Hub 3

There is no real difference at the moment - just how it's connected.

Currently though you can't request it. Virgin Media have moved some customers over where they needed to decommission the older phone service, or where a fault with the separate service can't be easily fixed.

All other customers will be moved eventually but when and how haven't been announced yet.

In regards to modem mode, not that doesn't affect the phone service via the Hub.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

For those with the traditional landline socket, connection via the ports on the Hub 3.0 or Hub 4 is some way off.

Having said that, I believe the function is still available when the Hub is in Modem Mode.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
pageyboy
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for both the responses. The engineer told me it was a fairly easy progress and all I would need is a little dongle to connect to the back of the router.

Fair enough if Virgin aren't doing it just now due to resources being stretched.

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It’s true that it’s straightforward at your end but there’s a lot more needed outside your property to enable the function.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi pageyboy,

As @Ernie_C and @BenMcr have mentioned, we do have customers who have their telephone line connected via the Hub but we also have customers who are still using the old network via the wall sockets. We're hoping to migrate all our customers onto the new telephony platform but as mentioned above, it's not something we'd do without a fault as it requires an engineer visit to tweak the physical side.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
pageyboy
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ok. I understand. Thanks for the responses.

0 Kudos
timmie
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just to confirm what has been said. My phone line was damaged recently (the broadband part was undamaged) and I was converted to the new phone connection method. The engineer turned up, gave me a little adaptor so my landline phone plugged into the router, he made a phone call and that was it. Took about 10 minutes. I use my router in modem mode and it’s all working as before.

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi timmie, thanks for the message and we are glad to see that you have gotten things resolved with the engineer visit. Please let us know if you need anything and have a good night. Chris 

0 Kudos