cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone switchover

bev_young10
On our wavelength

I have an appointment booked with an engineer this week. My phone is in my lounge at the front of the house and my router is in the dining room at the back of the house as I used to have a desktop computer in there. The fibre wire goes from the front of the house around to the back of the house and in through the dining room wall. I would like the router moved to the lounge at the front of the house so as the wire is already outside it would mean making a hole through the wall of the lounge so the router can be moved to where my phone is.

The person on the phone just kept saying to discuss with the engineer. I can't wait until the engineer turns up just to be told this can't be done. There is a fish tank in the corner where the router is currently and can't be moved "on demand". How can I discuss this with the engineer before they come to ensure I don't have to move my phone to the dining room as there is no available place to put it near the router currently. I have seen other posts which say the engineers don't carry cables.

I thought this was meant to ask be at no cost to the customer!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I can't see why there is any need to move anything at all! You, unlike many other people who post on here, actually want the hub to be moved so as to be closer to the phone - all the tech needs to do is to drill a convenient hole in the front wall of the house into your lounge and either run a new length of coax from the omnibox through this hole and terminate it to a wall socket, or cut the existing cable running round to the back, push this through the new hole and terminate it to a new wall socket. They then just disconnect the hub from where it currently is and connect it to the new wall socket.

Probably they will leave it to you to remove any extraneous cables running round to the back and/or wall sockets back there, but you could do all this at your leisure.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello bev_young10.

Thank you for your post and welcome back too.

This is quite a common query regarding relocation of equipment during a switchover.

On the day of your appointment the Technician will get a list of jobs they have for the day.

They then plan the route to make more time with each customer.

I guess that is why our team have advised its best to speak to the Technician on the actual visit.

If by any chance there is not enough time on the day to relocate your equipment. Then you can ask for another appointment to get this resolved.

I know it's a burden moving belongings around, Especially a fish tank.

Can you please let us know how the visit goes.

Gareth_L

Thanks Gareth. I will let you know how the visit goes. 

I can't see why there is any need to move anything at all! You, unlike many other people who post on here, actually want the hub to be moved so as to be closer to the phone - all the tech needs to do is to drill a convenient hole in the front wall of the house into your lounge and either run a new length of coax from the omnibox through this hole and terminate it to a wall socket, or cut the existing cable running round to the back, push this through the new hole and terminate it to a new wall socket. They then just disconnect the hub from where it currently is and connect it to the new wall socket.

Probably they will leave it to you to remove any extraneous cables running round to the back and/or wall sockets back there, but you could do all this at your leisure.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @VMUser1812,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and query. If a Hub or any other equipment needs to be relocated, the best way to have this completed safely is through our engineers doing this.

They are specifically trained in our service installs and are able to re-locate equipment to the best space without causing too many cabling issues throughout your home.

If there's anything we can do to help you, please let us know. We're here if you need us.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi VMUser1812

The engineer cane today and did exactly what you said. He was here for about 45 mins and I can't praise him highly enough. 

For anyone concerned about moving their router there is no need to be as my service was excellent. I didn't catch his name but we'll done Virgin media. 

Sorry I should have said there was no need to move anything. The router is now in my lounge next to my phone. 

@bev_young10 wrote:

Hi VMUser1812

The engineer cane today and did exactly what you said. He was here for about 45 mins and I can't praise him highly enough. 

<snip>

Almost as if I really do know what I'm talking about, no?😉

But, good news in getting it done in a professional manner - the issue here is that we do get posts from people in exactly your situation, claiming that a tech turns up and tells them what they want is completely impossible and that they have to rearrange things to suit VM. Now whether that is down to poor training or a degree of 'can't be bothered' on the part of the individual concerned, who can say?

Seanbt
Joining in

Trying to contact VM to discuss this changeover as my Router is upstairs (Cannot be relocated) and my cordless phone/answer machine is down stairs in lounge, need to know how this will work as with disabled parents I cannot have the answer machine upstairs.

So far trying to speak to VM about this is IMPOSSIBLE

Hi there @Seanbt 

Thank you for your post and I can see that you are currently in a private message with one of our team.

Please do continue to chat with them there so they can help.