Menu
jojones
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Phone saying check phone line

House phone saying check phone line - cannot call in or out. Broadband connection is working though. Have tried another phone  which says the same 

0 Kudos
mitch84
Superfast
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone saying check phone line

Same issue here yesterday and so far today, phoned VM on our mobile and they said an outage is effecting your area, must be wide spread issue.

VM status says everything is ok but clearly an issue somewhere.

0 Kudos
CybeRocK
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, unless you have what we call a DOCSIS account, your phone line and internet work separately. Which means they come through different cables. it sounds to me like you have a standard copper pair cable supplying your phone service from our cabinet. When a phone says "check phone line", it means you phone is not getting a dial tone from the phone socket where it's plugged in. There are several things that can cause this. The phone itself can be faulty(try another phone set, make sure the phone is plugged in to the phone socket and also connected to your electrical socket), the phone cable connecting the phone to the socket can be faulty(try a new cable if you have one), a fault outside. If you checked your phone and connection inside and you still can't get a dial tone on your phone, check the service status in your area here: https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status
If there are no phone related faults in the area, you have to get in touch customer service to book a technician visit as one of us will have to come out and troubleshoot. I hope this helps, all the best and please stay safe 🙂

- Although I am a Virgin Media service technician, the responses given on here are from my personal experience in the field and should be taken as such -
If I was able to help you please let others know by marking my answer as helpful. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo 🙂
0 Kudos
CybeRocK
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi mitch, please read my answer on the original post and see if that is of any help to you. All the best 🙂

- Although I am a Virgin Media service technician, the responses given on here are from my personal experience in the field and should be taken as such -
If I was able to help you please let others know by marking my answer as helpful. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo 🙂
0 Kudos
DHughes1
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have had same issue since yesterday, are you still having problems

0 Kudos
jojones
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It appears to beintermittant now. At this moment it is back on but keeps going off 

0 Kudos
mitch84
Superfast
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yep still have issue, mines been playing up pretty much since Wednesday, phone says "check phone line"

I'm pretty sure its a VM issue after now seeing a few similar posts pop up recently.

0 Kudos
DHughes1
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Something is changing, all day yesterday could not connect with land line from mobile, tried just now and can connect and leave message but not recognised on hand phone.

This must be a Virgin issue

0 Kudos
jojones
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So frustrating! Came on last night and now when I need to make calls it’s off again! 

0 Kudos