cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone ringer with fibre broadband

johncc
Joining in

I have been using my phone with a separate ringer, connected via an adaptor, since the ring-tones on the phone are not sufficiently penetrating.

This worked well with the landline.   Now that I have to connect via fibre broadband, the ring-tones on the phone still work, but the separate ringer does not.

I presume this means that the ringer is not compatible with fibre broadband, and I will have to but a replacement.   How can I be certain that I am buying a replacement which is compatible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@johncc wrote:

I have been using my phone with a separate ringer, connected via an adaptor, since the ring-tones on the phone are not sufficiently penetrating.

This worked well with the landline.   Now that I have to connect via fibre broadband, the ring-tones on the phone still work, but the separate ringer does not.

I presume this means that the ringer is not compatible with fibre broadband, and I will have to but a replacement.   How can I be certain that I am buying a replacement which is compatible?

The maximum REN of the old line was 4. The line from the back of the hub is only rated at 3. Add up the REN values of the phones plus the ringer (they should be marked on the products or in the literature that came with them) & if it exceeds 3 then you have found your problem.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello johncc.

Thanks for your post.

I am sorry to hear about the phone ringer not working with our new fibre line.

It may well be that you need to purchase one that is compatible.

Can I please ask what make and model the current one is that you have?

Gareth_L

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@johncc wrote:

The maximum REN of the old line was 4. The line from the back of the hub is only rated at 3. Add up the REN values of the phones plus the ringer (they should be marked on the products or in the literature that came with them) & if it exceeds 3 then you have found your problem.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello again johncc. 

I know @nodrogd has just solved this for you with his excellent knowledge.

I have also learnt from this.

Please let us know how you get on checking the REN.

Gareth_L