Menu
nelcon
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Phone porting

Changed over to virgin from sky ask to keep same number to be ported over this didn't happen virgin now saying it cant be ported because its not live been told by sky number was returned to virgin as it was originally a virgin number had it 20years. Is there anyway we can get that number if its not been used again.

Thanks

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Phone porting

Oh dear!

Did you phone Sky & cancel your services? This puts a block on the number being ported & you usually end up losing it.

The correct OFCOM procedure is to contact your new provider & they arrange the cancellation of the phone to synchronise with porting. Even if the number is originally in Virgins “pool” of numbers, the likelihood of getting it back are small.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
nelcon
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

When we arranged to have the virgin phone connected I was told keeping my new number would be ok so went ahead with it I did cancel sky but the new phone was installed on the 26th of may and sky cancelled the phone on the 27th may so wouldn't have virgin sorted the number out before installing the line on the 26th.

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi nelco, thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Can I ask if the number in question is BT/Sky's or is it orgiinally a Virgin Media number?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
nelcon
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi just been on the phone to virgin and it might be possible to do it as it was a virgin number. So a request has been sent to do it.

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Fantastic.  And one thing is, even if it's not instant, we should be able to get you the number based on it being our number and therefore it will ultimately be returned to us.  If we have it recorded as your number then we will be able to assign it to your account.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@nelcon wrote:

When we arranged to have the virgin phone connected I was told keeping my new number would be ok so went ahead with it I did cancel sky but the new phone was installed on the 26th of may and sky cancelled the phone on the 27th may so wouldn't have virgin sorted the number out before installing the line on the 26th.

It is not the date of cancellation that is the issue. It’s the date you gave notice of the cancellation. Therefore even if your services ended on 27th, if you gave notice to Sky on an earlier date than this it would cause your line to immediately be classed as “pending disconnection”. Any attempt to port a number that is “pending disconnection” will fail.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

nelcon.  If you'd like me to look into this further for you, I can?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos