cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone not working

Chrissie7
Tuning in

As from yesterday, cordless home phone not making or accepting incoming calls.  Just a low level type of "humming" noise when you pick up for a line.  Phone with answer machine constantly shows "Charging" on screen.  Could this simply be batteries (will replace these), phone or my Virgin Phone Line?  Suggestions would be appreciated for my next steps incase new batteries do not work. Thanks to all.

8 REPLIES 8

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Chrissie7, thanks for your first post on our help forums and for joining the VM community.

A warm welcome on board, nice to have you here. 🙂

We're sorry to hear of the landline issue since yesterday, we'd love to best assist with this.

Regarding the line, could you please confirm if there is a dial tone when you pick up the handset and before you shape a number?

Also, have you checked and found you're unable to make and receive calls?
Have you tested any other handsets or phone sockets to see if the issues persist?

Is the phone connecting on a master wall socket (large white with VM logo) or an extension telephone socket?

Please, let us know more and we'll be here to help further where needed.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Chrissie7
Tuning in

Thanks for your email Adri.  When I pick up the hand-set and press the green key (no sound before this point), I can hear a low level "fuzzy" dial tone.  I did dial my number using my mobile and it goes straight over to the answer phone service.  Not yet tried a different phone as I don't have one here and will try this one next week if problem persists.  The main hand-set is directly into the VM telephone socket and the phone has worked like this for the last 7-years.  I have a second hand-set connected to this phone and it is identically the same.  About 2pm today I have replaced the batteries with new rechargeable batteries and it says "charging" .  Hope this information helps.  Thanks again.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey Chrissie7, thanks so much for taking the time to check all this and sorry to see the issue is still present.

I will be happy to run a few more checks and help out, for this I will send you a private message here shortly.

Please, check the top right-hand side of our page to find a little white envelope.
Click on this and you'll see my message.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Chrissie7,

Adri is currently out of office so I've assigned this to myself to gain a further response.

I've dropped you a PM to discuss further.

Regards,

Kain

Chrissie7
Tuning in

My new VM Tivo Box is being delivered on Saturday (not today as planned as I am at work), but just wanted to ask a question.  When I switch over my box, will I still have the recorded programs on the new box or do I need to watch them first and then switch box?  Also, will I need to set-up planned recordings?

Thanks

Hi Chrissie7,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, when you receive a new box anything on the old one is lost, if you can watch your recording first that would be best, you can also search for the programmes tyoum had when you have the new box and record again.

Please note if you don't switch the boxes they will auto activate and you may lose the ability to watch the recorded content.

Regards

Paul.

Okay, just have to see what happens by the sound of it.  Just to confirm that due to being at the office today and tomorrow, 15th / 16th June 2023, please do not activate the new box until Saturday 17th June 2023 when I have re-arranged the delivery date with Yodel.  Otherwise, it sounds as though the TV may not work until the new box has been received as it was scheduled by VM for today and I had to obviously re-arrange as I would not be home to accept the delivery.

Hi Chrissie7,

Don't worry the activation can only happen once you have received the box and the order is showing as received.

Regards

Paul.