cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone not working - "Line in use."

Shahwiqar
Joining in
  • I've been having issues with my home phone for the last 2 weeks.  I can't make or receive calls and my handset says "line in use."

I've tried other handsets in the home and the issue remains, all saying "line in use," so its not a handset issue.

I called 0345 454 1111 three times the last week, only to find myself hearing virginmedia saying they will run tests to check my landline.  Still not sorted out the issue.

Advice please.

4 REPLIES 4

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Shahwiqar

Thank you so much for your first post to our community forums and welcome to the team! 

I'm so sorry to hear that you are facing this issue! 

Can I just confirm:

Are you connected via the Hub or the wall socket? If the wall is this a master socket? 

How many other pieces of equipment are attached at this point? 

Have you been able to try another hand set on the line at all? 

Thank you. 

My phone is connected to a wall socket.  Its the only phone connected, so I take it its the master socket.

One phone to the wall socket.  No other phones.

I've connected 3 other handsets on the line.  Same issue - all are not receiving or able to make calls.

Thank you for confirming for me. 

I think it would be best we get an engineer out to take a closer look into this for us. 

I will pop you a PM now so we can arrange this. Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

Thank you. 

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello again,

Thanks so much for your private message and confirming your address, I have now booked you a visit for your landline– you can check the date and time via your online account here. If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the My VM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Thank you.