Menu
MaggsPen
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Phone not ringing

My phone isn't ringing but I can receive and make outgoing calls.Tried several different phone in the socket now and none of them ring when I dial from my mobile.  Broadband not a problem. May have been like this for a couple of days as I assumed I hadn't heard the phone ring when I realised I had voicemails stacking up. Any help gratefully received. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone not ringing

Hi MaggsPen,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your Landline looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you, the first things we need to do is troubleshoot using these links below – 
No Dial Tone Troubleshooting
Making and Receiving Calls
I also want to ask a few questions just to make you’re your home setup is all okay, can you please tell me – 
Is there a dial tone or what do you hear when pick up the receiver (crackly/error message/No dial tone/yes dial tone)
If your phone is plugged into the mains or an extension lead?

Thanks, 

Megan_L

0 Kudos
MaggsPen
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan,

Thanks for helping.  Firstly, I've phoned Virgin and after quite a few checks in terms of different phones in the socket and checking the hardware, an engineer's visit is scheduled for 4th January as the first available appointment.  If there's a fix we can do before that though it would be great.

I get a dial tone and it is clear. I can make and receive calls. The phone is plugged into the mains.  The set-up I have has been in place for years and nothing has changed (except the  phone not ringing any more). I have now tried three different phone in the main socket and none of them ring but can all make and receive calls.  Today I have run the test on the phone three times  from the Virgin account page and each time I get the message 'Sorry we couldn't complete the test'. It was taking longer than it should to complete.

I don't have a Virgin Handset so couldn't do the check on this that you mention.

Thanks for looking into this for me. Maggie

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Maggie, 

Thanks for coming back to me with this update and for retrying those troubleshooting steps!

If you've already got an engineer booked then that is perfect, I was looking at your services on my side and I was going to suggest that as a way forward as it doesn't look like an issue I can resolve on my system. 

Lets wait and see what the engineer finds on their visit and we shall go from there if they can't resolve it 🙂

Thanks Maggie!

Megan_L

0 Kudos
MaggsPen
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone not ringing - NOW SORTED

Hi there,

So the problem I had with my phones not ringing has been sorted remotely by the engineer.  There was another customer local to me with the same issue so the engineer checked the 'Ringer Cards' at Exchange level and there was a fault on one which served both my neighbour and my home.  Very happy with this result.

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone not ringing - NOW SORTED

Hello MaggsPen

Thank you very much for the update 

Good news to hear it's all working okay for both you and your Neighbour 

If anything like this happens again, please pop back on here and we will do our best 

to help 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos