cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line

Pezza42006
Joining in

I am out of contract now and I am considering cancelling my virgin account completely as I only need broadband and no TV.. I will be moving to talktalk broadband..Will I be able to plug the talktalk router into my existing phone..do talktalk take over the phone line from virgin..thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Pezza42006,

Thanks for your post, and a warm welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you're looking to leave us - is there a specific reason? We do offer Broadband-only packages, and our teams on 0345 454 1111, will be able to assist in finding a package that's most suitable for your needs and budget.

Unfortunately, we wouldn't be able to advise on the setup for another provider, as they would use different equipment. If you do move to another provider, you will need to notify them that you wish to take the phone line with you, and they will port the number.

Please be aware, porting your number will only cancel your Landline service, and not the broadband. If you wish to move your Broadband service over as well, this will need to be cancelled through the standard channels on 0345 454 1111 (Option 4).

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Pezza42006,

Thanks for your post, and a warm welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you're looking to leave us - is there a specific reason? We do offer Broadband-only packages, and our teams on 0345 454 1111, will be able to assist in finding a package that's most suitable for your needs and budget.

Unfortunately, we wouldn't be able to advise on the setup for another provider, as they would use different equipment. If you do move to another provider, you will need to notify them that you wish to take the phone line with you, and they will port the number.

Please be aware, porting your number will only cancel your Landline service, and not the broadband. If you wish to move your Broadband service over as well, this will need to be cancelled through the standard channels on 0345 454 1111 (Option 4).

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

My current bill is £75 for broadband and tv..i no longer require the tv package butI can't get the new customer deal for virgin broadband only otherwise I would stay with virgin..

jem101
Superstar

@Pezza42006 wrote:

I am out of contract now and I am considering cancelling my virgin account completely as I only need broadband and no TV.. I will be moving to talktalk broadband..Will I be able to plug the talktalk router into my existing phone..do talktalk take over the phone line from virgin..thanks.

No, is the bottom line. The VM 'phone line' is purely theirs, nobody else can 'take it over'. If you sign up with TalkTalk they will require you to have a BT/Openreach telephone connection as that is how they provide their service. If you have all of the cables in place but just not active or connected up, then it should be OK. Otherwise this would need to be sorted out first, some ISPs (you'll need to check with TT if they do this,) will pay for a new line to be fitted by Openreach, otherwise, you will need to arrange this and pay for it first before TT can even sign you up.

I suspect the confusion above is due to some people referring to 'taking over a phone line' as meaning take over (port) the number to a new supplier - in your case though, you seem to be referring to the physical cable itself and no, nobody else can take this over.

My current bill is £75 for broadband and tv..i no longer require the tv package but I have been told i can't get the new customer deal for virgin broadband only otherwise I would stay with virgin as it has always been a great broadband service for me.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Pezza42006

Thanks for your reply

It'd be a real shame to see you go and sorry our team cannot offer you a new customer deal. These are exclusive for brand new accounts unfortunately.

I hope you have a nice weekend and my apologies again.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs