cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line transfer to hub

GeoffB45
Joining in

We've been advised that the phone line will be transferred to the hub next month and have received an adpater to plug for connection into the hub. We have 3 extension sockets which need to be kept live.

I've seen from other posts that a 4 Wire Plug to RJ11 Crossover Telephone Cable could be used to back feed the extension sockets from the master socket.  What's the signifcance of crossover? I have retained a cable from a disused phone which has a RJ11 plug  at one end and a normal telephone plug at teh other; can I use this? 

8 REPLIES 8

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @GeoffB45,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and for your query. We're here to help you understand our new Home Phone Switchover process.

Once the landline has been switched over to our new 21CV (twenty-first century voice) system, all phone sockets will no longer work.

If you're needed to have other landlines across your home connected, we'll be more than happy to arrange for a technician appointment so a technician can come out and re-wire the connections to ensure that you're still connected. However, this connection will be solely through our broadband Hubs. 

We do have a Home Phone Switchover FAQ page where you can read through this to familiarise yourself with this new system.

Please let us know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

GeoffB45
Joining in

The information in the link is very general and doesn't help me.

I'd be grateful for a response to the specific points in my post.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@GeoffB45 wrote:

The information in the link is very general and doesn't help me.

I'd be grateful for a response to the specific points in my post.

A RJ11 to BT plug lead can be wired 'Straight Through' (at each end pin numbers correspond 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 etc.) the 'Crossover Arrangement' is as below

RJ11 BT431A
Pin    Pin
2       4
3 *     5
4 *     2
5       3

* Line pair

Useful info here on connectors and pin numbering

https://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/technical-library/pinouts-wiring-diagrams/telecoms-wiring/

Picture of an adapter lead VM have used in the past is here at message #9

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/HUB3-to-Master-socket-adaptor/m-p/4507007#M143805

The inclusion of a ringing capacitor somewhere in the wiring is required if you want to use old phones (early-ish 2000's and before) which may require this.

Various other 'how to' guides are on the forum if you want to DIY rather than get VM to do it for you FOC.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply, GeoffB45, 

Did @goslow's info help? Please let us know 🙂 
Zoie

Perhaps too techy!

For those interested...

Our phones are plugged  into extension sockets; nothing plugged into the master socket which is next to the router . The standard advice from VM isn't of use.  I've disconnected the incoming phone wire from the master socket and used a telephone connecting wire with an RJ11 plug [into the router] at one end  and a standard 4 wire BT type plug at the other end  [into the master socket]. This connects the router phone signal back to our extension sockets. Didn't need to use the adapter provided by VM.  

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @GeoffB45

Thanks for your reply

Great to hear you've managed to have a go at this, just to clarify - is this now up and running as expected? 🙂

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

I done the same as Geoff and mines is now working as expected.  Only difference with mine was that the master socket is downstairs and the hub is upstairs but next to an extension socket.  I connected the hub to the extension socket via a normal phone cable and disconnected the feed cable from the street at the master socket in the living room so that there was no back feed into the street.  All of my 4 existing sockets now work as they did before.  Pretty easy to do yourself and no need to waste an engineer's time.  

Hi @c_smith,

Thanks for sharing.

We are here to help should you need us.

Best wishes

Ayisha_B
Forum Team