Menu
dcumbrian
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Phone line not working

Hi

I've had no phone line all afternoon.  My neighbour, also Virgin Media and 80+ years,  is in the same situation.

Their predicament is worse than mine as they do not use a mobile but need the landline for emergencies i.e. automatic call in case of injury.

I've checked the service status page, numeous times, but no indication that Virgin are aware of any problem. We are in Sheffield 5.

This is URGENT for my neighbour.

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone line not working

hanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, Gman74,

Sorry to hear that you have no dial tone for your landline. I've run a remote diagnostic and have not been able to identify any area issues

We also ho have an online help guide for landline issues here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone-line-faults

But I'm sending you a PM to get yours and your neighbour's account details.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
dcumbrian
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Good Morning Cory,

I'm not very good at typing on a tablet so yesterday's reply was quite short. This is a quick follow-up to that reply yesterday.

My set-up is a virgin landline with a BT cordless phone connected to it. The base unit is connected to the phone socket and a 2nd handset in the upstairs study.

My neighbour has a virgin landline with a standard wall mounted handset connected to it. They also have a virgin installed extension to the living room to which they have a Binatone dual cordless phone connected to it. The 2nd handset is located in their bedroom.

My neighbour contacted me yesterday for help as their phone wasn't working. First I discovered there was no dialing tone. I then disconnected from the wll socket and reconnected. Still no dialing tone. I did the same for the extension. I then went home to check the virgin web-site for service status. At home I thought I'd try to ring them to see if they could get in-coming calls. It was then I discovered my phone wasn't working either. Again no dialing tone. It displayed a generic message stating 'line cord error - please check'. I purchased my phone recently for the call-blocking feature and check it daily to see how many calls have been blocked so I'm confident that it was working on Sunday.

I then went to the virgin web-site to check service status...  no indication of a problem. I thought it might be a recent problem and not updated.  I also took the step to check the line as advised on the web-site, again, no problem indicated. I did this a number of times during the day and also went to the community page to see if I could get any further info or that others were having a similar problem.

After I replied to you testerday I had the bright idea of calling myself (and neighbour) from my mobile (should have thought of that earlier). On both occasions the message on the mobile was that the line was busy.

Ok scrub everything above. The phones now appear to be working. Just noticed the phone display changed to normal and called my neighbour and they answered.  So whatever you have done THANK YOU.

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply and update, dcumbrian.  I'm glad to hear that everything is working now. 

Cheers,

Corey C