Menu
Kristianlaff
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Phone line not working after Hub 4 upgrade

Hi,

I’m having the same issue as many others it seems, in that my Hub 4 arrived today and my landline has stopped working (no dial tone).

Set up instructions say to make sure I am using the new cable or adapter, but the Hub 4 didn’t come with one. 

Please could someone from Virgin Media arrange for this to be fixed for me?

I have gone through all troubleshooting steps, including rebooting the hub, to no avail.

Thanks,

Kristian

0 Kudos
Thunderpaws
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone line not working after Hub 4 upgrade

Hi, I had the exact same issue it sounds like as when I logged onto my hub 4 it showed telephony disabled.

Today mine has started working, after 48 hours of not.  Here's what I think .

My hub was not due to be delivered until today, but arrived saturday

I installed saturday.

Given that they did not expect me to have the hub already, I think there is an activation part of the install that needs to happen to cut across all the services.

After an unexpected reboot at 17:30 today, my phone started working again.

I had tried all the usual tricks, reboot, detach and re-attach the cables, but the above is the only thing that makes sense.

VM wanted to send an engineer to my home which I couldn't understand because I wanted more checks done first.

It's all very frustrating.

0 Kudos
Kristianlaff
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. 

Did you hub come with a new phone cable? Mine didn’t and the instruction state a couple of times how important it is to use the new cable (although as far as I can see it’s a standard cable and they are all the same).

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kristianlaff, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue looked into, I am sorry your phone line is not yet working with your new HUB 4. I can confirm you need to use your pre-existing cable that you had with your old HUB.

I have had a look on my side at your services and also done a line test which has come back as OK. However if you are still not getting a dial tone please let me know - we will need to send an engineer out to do more tests and get your phone online.

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Kristianlaff
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Megan.

I’ll give it another 24 hours and let you know if it still hasn’t started working, just in case something changes. As of this morning, however, it is not working.

I’ve also noticed since installing the new hub that my speeds have dropped significantly. I pay for 500MB per sec, as of this morning I’m getting 60MB download speed using Speedtest.net. Is there an issue with connection speeds? What can I do about this?

thanks.

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kristianlaff,

Thanks for coming back to me with an update, I am sorry your internet speed is slower than usual as well as this issue with your phone line. I feel like we need to work on both these aspects together, so if you do not have a dial tone in the next 24 hours I will send out an engineer to look at both your phone and broadband. If the dial tone appears but your speeds are still slow then I'll still take the same course of action 🙂 

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Kristianlaff
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan,

my phone line has now started working, which is good. However, I’m still not happy with the broadband speed. Using an Ethernet cable last night I was able to get a speed of 170 MB/sec. using wifi this afternoon speed is 69 MB/sec. there’s also a problem with the connection frequently hanging, so a web page will stop loading for 10 seconds and then suddenly load.

Would you please be able to arrange for an engineer to visit on a weekday to fix this?

thanks,

Kristian

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kristianlaff,

Thanks for coming back to us.

What sites and devices are you using to test the speeds on please?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos