cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone keeps dropping out

Ostragobulus
Tuning in

Our phone line keeps dropping out.

When making a call the call will disconnect randomly. There is no click, the person to whom we are speaking is simply disconnected. That person could get a message "that the caller has disconnected".

We suspect the this is happening even when we are not making a call as one of our phones shows this on the display.

It has been happening for a long time.

Has anyone else encountered this?

12 REPLIES 12

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Ostragobulus

Thanks for posting. Apologies for the landline issue. 

Did you check our service page and pop your postcode in? Any known local faults will be shown. If none listed, simply sign in to the checker using your My Virgin Media online account details. When signed in, you can run the service test on the affected service (telephone). You can also book an engineer if one is needed via that method as well.

Lastly, you can also call our service fault line on 0800 561 0061

Let me know how you get on.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John

Yes - I did all the things to which you elude. The trouble with an intermittent fault, as you will know, is that it never happens when you want it to, that is when an engineer calls.

The wiring in the house is old BT. The BT access point is a long way from the connection to the Virgin network and the wire is mostly hidden. I really don't know who is considered to be responsible for this. Certainly BT would have been before we changed to Virgin.There appears to be a good connection between the Virgin cable and the start of the old BT wiring and Virgin used the old BT wiring rather than installing new wiring when the system was installed.

Hi Ostragobulus

Thanks for coming back to me. What was the result of the test ran or call to the service status line? 

The wiring - we wouldn't use BT's, we'd use our own.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John

The tests did not show a problem. As I mentioned before the fault is intermittent.

With respect you did not install your own wiring. I remember questioning the installer when he connected to the existing BT wiring as I said that I was under the impression that you installed your own wiring as you were not allowed to use BT wiring. It can be plainly seen that this was not done, your wire connects into the old BT box.

Thanks for coming back to me Ostragobulus

I'll send you a PM to get you a tech out.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Hi Ostragobulus

Thanks for joining me on PM. 

Just to update the thread, the engineer visit has been booked in.

This can be tracked and/or altered, in your online account

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Hi John

I presume that the appointment will just be to check what needs to be done?

Hi @Ostragobulus

Thanks for coming back to me. 

The visit is to check on the fault and also the wiring.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Hello again

The engineer has been and the phone is now connected through the modem rather than the original wiring.

When the engineer was here everything seemed to be working but now I get no phone signal.

The set up wizard for the modem says that the phone is "ready" but my phones connected to the modem tell me that there is "no line".

What am I doing wrong?

Regards

Terrance