Menu
jimthing
Up to speed
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Phone in router: any alternatives?

Is there an alternative to plugging the phone into the router? (presumably this is something like VOIP, is it?) 

For reasons I don't want to go into, it's just not convenient having my phone's multi-handset base-station plugged in there. Is there such a thing as an extender/adapter that can go into the HUB 3's telephone point, and then another extender/adapter somewhere else in my home to have the phone plugged in there? 

(And no, I don't want to run long cables or install a new nearby phone wall socket and a cable from router into it.) 

VM call centre staff don't have any clue on this issue, unfortunately, so any help gratefully received. 

CS phone call experience with Virgin Media: same with you? [video!]:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-120Mb-Setup-Equipment/CS-phone-call-experience-same-with-you-video/td-p/1952002
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone in router: any alternatives?

Hello

The system is 21CV it is not VOIP all new installs are like this I am afraid there is no other options, VM can install a extension from the hub to a standard phone socket, and then you can run your own extensions from that socket, as to the hub is just a digital connection on a different frequency and then from the hub in the property is the standard copper cable.

All installs at some point between now and 2025 for all providers will be going down this route, as they are all going away from the old twisted copper cable to the premises.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jimthing
Up to speed
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

No options? Not great. 

OK well it looks like I'm having to re-jig all my (LOTS!) wires/boxes around near the router area. We own in a small central London flat, so space is at an absolute premium, so I wish VM would consider telling users beforehand this new phone system is thing, as not everyone lives in a house with loads of space options. 🙄 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-120Mb-Setup-Equipment/CS-phone-call-experience-same-with-you-video/td-p/1952002
0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Well how did you order because if it was online it states that the telephone service is now provided via the hub.

If I've helped let me know 🙂

10 year's managing 9 Virgin Media accounts, and things never got any better, closed last 4 accounts since January 2021 :L

I give 'my' experience to help where possible.
0 Kudos
jimthing
Up to speed
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I phoned to get a very good new deal and order the new VM contract (the previous VM contract was setup with a family member moving out of my address). 

...and no, they failed to mention the change, or course. 

0 Kudos