cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone fibre

martin671
On our wavelength

I have been notified that my home phone will be switched to fibre on 12/6 and adapter will be sent out to me.  I live in an older property where my phone connection is in a different room to the hub. Does anyone know how I can get the adapter to work?

If a technician visit is necessary how do I arrange this.? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thank you @martin671 for speaking with me via the PM and I'm glad we now have the appointment booked for you.

Please do let us know how things are looking after the visit? 

Thanks again

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@martin671 wrote:

I have been notified that my home phone will be switched to fibre on 12/6 and adapter will be sent out to me.  I live in an older property where my phone connection is in a different room to the hub. Does anyone know how I can get the adapter to work?

If a technician visit is necessary how do I arrange this.? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here, when they reply to this topic) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @martin671 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the forums, it's great to have you here. 

I'd be more than happy to look into arranging an appointment to set up the new phone line for you via a Private Message, and thank you goslow for their help so far. 

I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message.

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thank you @martin671 for speaking with me via the PM and I'm glad we now have the appointment booked for you.

Please do let us know how things are looking after the visit? 

Thanks again

Will let you all know how this goes after visit 🙏

Morning! Regarding visit 12/6: Virgin sent me a text four days before to confirm and Ross the engineer turned up yesterday. Having looked at my set up it was agreed that router did not have to be moved. He had the adapter with him and plugged it into the connection which powers the cordless phone which now sits in the spare room and is plugged into the back of the router. So long as the phone is charged up I can have it anywhere upstairs. Ross then made some adjustments and tested the phone line and I have now been “ converted “ weeks on advance so this looks like a good result. It also means I can eventually get rid of the wiring I inherited decades ago from the old B.T. system. If there is anyone out there  with elderly  relations who have plugged phones into sockets they will need to buy cordless phones or have router relocated.

So from a personal viewpoint it looks like a good job from this end. Thanks to Ash, Ross and others on the forum for their help. Have a good day.👍

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @martin671,

Thank you for keeping us updated on how the appointment went! 😊 

Glad to hear that your query was resolved and that your landline connection is working as expected! If there's anything else we can do going forward, please let us know.

We're here to help! 😊 

Thanks!

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

bdbm
Joining in

Hi,

I too live in an older house.  The Hub is in the front of the house, but the phone is at the rear.  It is a cordless phone with 3 bases, one upstairs and one in the my office in the garden.  If I move the base to the front, 1) not only is there no room but 2) I will loose the wireless connection to the office.  I cannot easily find how to book a Technician visit, which I understand I need, and the web pages just go round in circles.  I'm so frustrated with this, everything was working fine before.

I tried calling in, put on hold for ages, then was met with the sound of an alarm.

Hi @bdbm 

Welcome to the community forums

Sorry to hear that you've not been able to get in touch to discuss your phone set up for you migration. 

We can arrange for a technician to come and relocate or, if possible, rewire the home to keep your current set up. 

Please join me on private message so I can locate your account and pass account security. You can see your private messages at the top of the page, in the envelope icon or if you're using a smaller device, you can see your private messages by clicking on the Virgin Media logo at the top right and select 'Messages' from the drop down. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

I recieved your message, replied but nothing for 47 minutes!