cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone fibre upgrade

Tezza04
Joining in

Hi, i too have just received this letter from Virgin Media, saying they are going to send me a hub. My question is I have a landline and a phone but we don't use the phone as we use our mobiles and I will continue to do so. So if I don't connect this hub will I still be able to use my internet or will the two have to work together or have I got to use the phone which costs more to use. Both me and my wife have unlimited calls and texts.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The phone switchover process is simply changing the way the VM landline service is delivered to the customer. Rather than connecting phones into a telephone master socket on the wall, the socket is now located on the back of the VM hub. Any existing telephone wall sockets cease to function at that point unless VM or the customer links them to the phone socket on the back of the hub.

You have to plug your phone into the back of the hub unless you get VM to connect your existing phone extension sockets into the back of the hub as part of the switchover process. Many people choose to use a cordless phone setup with the base station plugged into the hub and cordless extensions used around the home as required.

The bottom LHS photo at the link below

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone-line-faults

shows the back of the VM hub and the 'TEL1' phone socket with the adapter plugged into it. The purpose of the adapter is to allow a standard BT phone plug to connect to the hub.

The switchover process does not require you to start using the VM landline. You can continue to access VM broadband without connecting a phone.

If you currently make use of wi-fi connections to your existing hub, you will need to reconnect these to the replacement hub.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You will need to use the new Hub you're sent, but you don't have to use the home phone any differently than you do now.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post @Tezza04, and a very warm welcome to you!

We would advise that a DOCSIS phone line can be used on a Hub 3.0 or above.

Does the letter say specifically that you're hub will be replaced or does this talk more on a general basis?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

The letter says i will sent an adapter in the post which i can connect my phone to the Wi-Fi hub. Don't understand that or what a DOCSIS phone line is or a Hub 3, sorry.

Terry

Hello Tezza04

Thanks for taking the time to raise your landline query with us via the forums, we understand the confusion and are happy to help.

From what you have advised we have notified you of a change to the way your landline works, from the date on the letter your landline will work via your Hub (that supplies your broadband and Wi-Fi) so instead of connecting the base unit or phone into the wall socket it will need to be connected to one of the phone ports on the back of your Hub using an adapter that we will supply.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Rob

Thanks for your reply Robert. It doesn't really answer my original query. I don't use my landline (phone) and haven't done so for a while both myself and my wife use our mobile which we both have unlimited calls. My question is will i still be able to use the Wi-Fi for my PC if i don't plug the adapter in? Thanks

Terry

Also by your reply i presume i would have to move my phone to where the Wi-Fi hub is, would that be correct?
Terry

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The phone switchover process is simply changing the way the VM landline service is delivered to the customer. Rather than connecting phones into a telephone master socket on the wall, the socket is now located on the back of the VM hub. Any existing telephone wall sockets cease to function at that point unless VM or the customer links them to the phone socket on the back of the hub.

You have to plug your phone into the back of the hub unless you get VM to connect your existing phone extension sockets into the back of the hub as part of the switchover process. Many people choose to use a cordless phone setup with the base station plugged into the hub and cordless extensions used around the home as required.

The bottom LHS photo at the link below

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone-line-faults

shows the back of the VM hub and the 'TEL1' phone socket with the adapter plugged into it. The purpose of the adapter is to allow a standard BT phone plug to connect to the hub.

The switchover process does not require you to start using the VM landline. You can continue to access VM broadband without connecting a phone.

If you currently make use of wi-fi connections to your existing hub, you will need to reconnect these to the replacement hub.

Lovely thanks very much goslow.

Terry

Hi @Tezza04 thanks for getting back to us.

Do you feel your questions have now been answered?  Sorry if our team did not fully answer.

Regards

Lee_R