Menu
Richard888
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Phone cannot receive incoming calls

Strange one this, the landline phone we have had for several years and has been working fine with the virgin media phone service for around 4 years, has started having problems.

A few weeks ago, we noticed for all incoming landline calls, the phone rings once and stops. I tested several time using my mobile to call the landline line and it rings once and terminates the call.

My landline phone is a Gigaset A420.  Thinking the problem was this phone, I went and bought a new cordless land line phone: "BT Everyday Phone with call blocking - twin handset". I get exactly the some outcome - it rings once and the connection is terminated.

Lastly, I tried my 30 year old corded phone and it works fine!

However I really do want the convenience of 2 cordless phones around the house.

Any solution to enabling using cordless phones again?

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone cannot receive incoming calls

Hi Richard888, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. I have checked the switch and there is no issues. compatibility should not be an issue and we would ask that you try an alternative handset to see if you get the same issue. Please let us know how it goes. ^Chris

0 Kudos
Richard888
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris_W1,

Many thanks for checking the switch.

Yes, I have checked with a new cordless land line phone ( "BT Everyday Phone with call blocking - twin handset") and this has the same outcome as my original cordless (Gigaset A420):  it rings once and the connection is terminated.

I also checked and my 30 year old corded phone and that works fine!

I am hoping a solution  is available to enabling using cordless phones, again?

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Richard888, all cordless phones should work with us and am unsure why this is not working for you, can you ensure that the handsets are fully charged, does this happen when only one cordless device is plugged in? - Chris. 

0 Kudos
goslow
Community elder
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Richard888 wrote:

Strange one this, the landline phone we have had for several years and has been working fine with the virgin media phone service for around 4 years, has started having problems. <snip>

Is your phone connected to a conventional telephone wall socket rather than a new-style connection from the back of the hub?

0 Kudos
Richard888
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris,

Both cordless phone systems I tried have fully charged 2 handsets / system.

I just tried it with only one cordless handset working (I took the batteries out of the other handset to disable it). I got the same outcome: it rings once and the connection is terminated.
0 Kudos
Richard888
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi goslow

My landline is connected to a virgin conventional telephone wall socket, this connects to the virgin box on the outside of my house.

Many thanks.
0 Kudos
goslow
Community elder
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Are you running your tests whilst plugged into the master socket and nothing else plugged in anywhere else?

The one-ring-which-stops fault on a conventional line seems to be quite a common thing and seems to be called a 'bell not ringing' BNR fault. Mentioned below and required a tech visit to fix

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Landline-not-ringing-with-incoming-call/m-p/4624130

You can try the phones in the master socket and with no extensions connected to see if it helps (but doubt it will).

Some Googling on the issue suggests that you may get different results with different phones but the fault is frequently due to a problem with the exchange equipment. 

0 Kudos
Richard888
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi goslow, the base station for the cordless system is connected to the master socket.

My problem persist, but many thanks for your reply.

I am not sure how I get virgin to investigate further as they have remotely checked the switch however I think it needs a more in depth investigation of the exchange eqpt by virgin technicians.
0 Kudos
goslow
Community elder
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I think you have tried all you reasonably can do yourself as you have tried 3 phone types (including a brand new phone) in the master socket and got mixed results so your line is not working reliably.

IMO I'd say it needs a tech visit to investigate and remedy.

Wait for the VM forum team to get back here and respond.