Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Phone cable non urgent question

I have phone and broadband, when I moved house the engineer set-up my Hub in an existing coax socket in the lounge and plugged the phone directly into the Hub rather than having its own wall socket like in my old house and explained this is how its done now.

This means I need to keep it near the hub so it’s a mess of wiring. Ideally, I now want to move hub and mount it high on my wall to improve the wifi signal and keep it out the way but the phone stops me doing this.

I have noticed since the visit there is an existing virgin phone port near the door which is where ideally I’d like the phone (it does not work). Is there a reason why this cannot be set-up? And if so would I need to book another visit or can it be activated remotely?

I thought I'd ask here first, as we are discouraged from calling on non urgent questions and I tried the online messaging application but the bot could not get me through to a human.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Phone cable non urgent question

The quick answer is that your old style VM socket will not be reactivated. All new VM installations which include a landline have that landline provisioned via the Hub. VM are taking out of use the old telephone cabling, circuits and infrastructure and by 2025 it will be gone for everyone.

So what are your options? Don't move the Hub and find a different way to improve your wifi, or get a longer telephone cable (silly one that). Of the two I'd prefer the first. Look at things like wifi extenders, powerline adapters or ultimately a Mesh system (which is a sophisticated set of wifi extenders).

I'm beginning to think the days of the landline are coming to an end. Funny because I have both BT and VM lines at home, plus mobile telephony.

But I do have something I'd like to add. I admire your clear thinking in not phoning and in using this Forum for exactly the purpose intended. So Kudos to you for your post. I hope others may come along and find alternatives for you that I haven't thought of.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone cable non urgent question

Thankyou, its good to know. It allowed me to make another plan now, will leave the Hub in its sub-optimal tucked away location which happens to be near a hole with an unused cable going to a satellite dish, I'll try replace this with a ethernet cable (with a nice socket), lead that into the loft space and put in an AP, the nice ones that look a bit like a smoke alarm. Pity the Hub3 does not do POE from what I've just read.
0 Kudos