Menu
DrFingeryaguts
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Phone cable information please

Router3 comes with a phone adapter. My phone uses a small cable connector just like the router does. I want to ditch the ugly adapter and use a cable.

So what's the cables name? Model number etc.

I have tried a straight through, and a two core crossover cable, but they don't work (maybe not enough core wires).

If there isn't such a cable in existence, then can can you please let me have a wiring diagram so I can make my own.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone cable information please

Hi DrFingeryaguts,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear you don't like our adapter. We do recommend using our adapter as that is tested to work with our hubs. 

We cannot recommend any 3rd party equipment to use instead. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
DrFingeryaguts
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Martin - Virgin media, pat your selves on the back for that one. Very helpful, woo-hoo.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Which aspect of your previous cable tests did not work? No dial tone? No ringer sound for incoming calls?

If I understand correctly you want to remove the existing line cord of your phone (RJ11 plug to BT plug) and go straight from the phone into the hub with a new lead.

Don't have the Hub 3 myself but if you look into the back of the RJ11 TEL1 socket on the back of the hub, I would imagine it probably only uses 2 wires on pins 3 and 4 (the centre two pins). You'd have to check yourself to confirm this is correct.

You'd then need to look at the socket (usually also RJ11) on the body of the phone you are trying to connect to see how many pins that uses. Most modern domestic phones would also only use 2 pins (although some may present 4 pins and possibly use 3 pins, if they use the ringer wire)

This page gives a good explanation of phone cable wiring and pin-outs and pin numbering

https://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/technical-library/pinouts-wiring-diagrams/telecoms-wiring/

which highlights why it is sometimes a confusing business to get the correct cable for your particular setup.

0 Kudos
DrFingeryaguts
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your help.

Taking a gander at the adapter 1&2 crossed and 3&4 crossed.

So I'll proceed as if all 4 wires are used, solder them up, heat shrink them, and then I can't go wrong.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Don’t recognise that arrangement of pins as would not expect pin 1 to feature anywhere in a domestic configuration.

You'd do better to properly work out, and test and record, the actual pinout arrangements of your existing phone cordage/adapter fully end-to-end before you try and make anything yourself, otherwise you may well end up damaging your phone and/or hub or just wasting your time if it fails to work again. Just connecting something up on a hunch it will work is not a good way to proceed.

0 Kudos
DrFingeryaguts
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I should have said the modem connector was 1&2 and 3&4 the bt phone connector is 2&3 and 4&5. Depending how you look at it. If you looked at it sideways it would be different again 🙂

phone-adapter-small.jpg

This adapter can be found on the auction site that I probably can't name.

0 Kudos
DrFingeryaguts
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've got my answer phone working direct to the router No' 1 socket, with a 2 wire cable, twisted 2&3 (middle two wires). But I can't get the phone working.
It's all been a waste of time as socket 2 on the router doesn't seem to work. Is it set up for a different cable type or just not for the phone?
I wanted the phone in 1 and the answer phone in 2.

Anyone shed some light on phone socket 2?
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello

To further add Tel 2 will not be active unless as it is there for a 2nd line, only Tel 1 will be active.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos