Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Phone Line Unrelibale - cuts off random. Long term problem.

I am still having regular problems with my phone line. During calls (in or out) the line will cut,and then you cannot clear the line to make a new call. Sometimes this inabilty to get a line can go on for hours or days.

Others times when you pick the phone up to make a call the line is not there to start with.

This all started many months ago. When i first moved in the house in early 2018 the line was ok. As noted before things went wrong with the phone and broadband at the time the neighbour had lines put in and the road was dug up.

The internet was looked at and has been ok for many months now, but the phone has continued to be a problem since. We don't use it much, but when we do in can be a problem.The other day a medical constultant phoned for an alloted slot, and after 6 minutes the line cut, and the rest of the appointment was lost, because a I could not get a line and the consultant could not connect.

When this started we were getting a crossed line with another person. When people phoned me they would get this other person, who was sometimes angry with them for calling him over and over (as part of their trying to reach me). Sometimes when my phone rang and I would pick up, and I could also here the other person talking to the people trying to talk to me (none could hear me though). My partner is concerned that this may also mean someone else can listen in on our calls.

We have changed the handset in our home 3 times. We started with a cordless set of 3 phones, but since have bought and used two types of corded phone (BT type). We have removed all of the handsets from the house (e.g. bedrooms, kitchen, etc, except one. And this problem continues to occcur. I have just had a call to my partners parents cut off, and cannot call them back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone Line Unrelibale - cuts off random. Long term problem.

HI Fedup01, thanks for contacting us regarding the service. We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with the line, can you confirm if you have done a fault test via the online account? ^Chris 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The "Service Status" test is clear.The phone line just dropped again, this time 6 minutes into a call. Again, once the call drops, i cannot make another call out of the house. It may take minutes, hours or a day for the line to then come back.

On a few occasions we have have got a tone when we pick up the phone, that sounds like it is the virgin media voicemail.But when we dial in with 1571, there is no voice mail.

I am on the vulnerable list for Corona Virus, so I do not feel I can risk an engineers appointment into the house right now. I am not concerned with the cost of the line in the greater picture, so I would prefer to wait until later to deal with this.But I do want to record this here as an onoging problem for many months now.

With all that said, this started with what seemed to be a crossed line. At that time when others were calling me, they were getting someone else. And that other person confirmed they were recieving someone elses calls, and were not happy about it. So, i am still not convinced this is the cabling inside my home.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Fedup01

Thanks for posting. I am sorry for the phone line issue. I've ran some checks and can see no issues. Have you tried another call since the last one? If it's not working, is there a dial tone? 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No. At this time there is still no return of the dial tone. It could come back in a few minutes, hours or not until tomorrow. When it does there is no way of knowing if it will last a few minutes or an hour in a call. When it drops, sometimes the dial tone is there and you can call again. But others times it is not. But as i said, even if the dial tone is there, you do not know how long a call will last before it cuts off.

I am not touching the handset or any of the internal cabling, to make it come back. The phone is used hands free so is not touched in making the call or during it.

If you actively push on the connections or pull the cord, when the line is working ona  call, there is no loss or distortion or crackling. It just cuts randomly, and will nto come back. As i noted before i have the same problem on all rooms in the house, and have purchased two different new handsets, and the same happens.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Can you unplug the landline for me please, wait two minutes and then replug back in?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos