cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Line Dead

Johnmor
Tuning in

I have noticed today that my phone line is dead.  I called the helpline number and after checks was told it was my handset which was at fault.

I need to get a new one, but question is, will any phones be OK or do I have to get something special?  (I have been transferred to the phone line via the router)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Johnmor wrote:

I have noticed today that my phone line is dead.  I called the helpline number and after checks was told it was my handset which was at fault.

I need to get a new one, but question is, will any phones be OK or do I have to get something special?  (I have been transferred to the phone line via the router)

Before splashing cash on a new phone, see if you can borrow one which is a recent model (from a friend, family member, neighbour etc.) to test your line. There have been plenty of past topics on here where a customer has bought a new phone, only to find there was another issue causing the phone fault.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Johnmor wrote:

Before splashing cash on a new phone, see if you can borrow one which is a recent model (from a friend, family member, neighbour etc.) to test your line. There have been plenty of past topics on here where a customer has bought a new phone, only to find there was another issue causing the phone fault.

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Johnmor

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear that.

Have you received the adaptor from us for the switch from the wall socket to the hub?

We don't have a list of compatible phones - however most DECT (Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications) phones should work.

Please pop back to us when you can.  

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

HI, yes thanks I have got the phone into the router, I had the engineer come out to fix it, as the phone is some distance from my router.

With reference to the DECT does this cover corded phones too?

Thanks 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Johnmor wrote:

HI, yes thanks I have got the phone into the router, I had the engineer come out to fix it, as the phone is some distance from my router.

With reference to the DECT does this cover corded phones too?

Thanks 

Are you testing with the phone plugged directly into the VM hub via the adapter that VM supplied?

Or are you testing with the phone plugged into an extension socket (some distance away) which was fitted by the VM tech?

Hi

Ah ha, I have just plugged the phone into the hub (via the adaptor) and it works. so looks to be something wrong with the extension.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Johnmor wrote:

Hi

Ah ha, I have just plugged the phone into the hub (via the adaptor) and it works. so looks to be something wrong with the extension.

Time for a revisit from the VM tech to install the extension socket correctly!

Yep, thanks for the help

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Johnmor wrote:
Yep, thanks for the help

One of the VM forum team should reply back here in due course and be able to book a return tech visit for you.

Hi @Johnmor

I will send you a private message now so we can arrange an engineer for you.

Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the page and pop me a reply when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide