cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Line -Check Line

PhilF51
Joining in

My desk top phone which is a master for the other remotes was working early this morning.  Then we noticed that the phone was saying "check line".  So, I checked it's socket, then took it to the main box where the line comes in - nothing! So, that rules out the house wiring.  Logged on to Virginmedia, status says okay!  Now here is the fun bit.  You get bounced from one page to another telling me what I already know.  Note: I do not  have an adaptor for the hub to test from there.  And I do nothave another wired phone to check line either.

How to Reschedule an engineer, cancel etc BUT have not found the link "Book an engineer". Or it is not made obvious but secreted away somewhere. This is very annoying and does help my situation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi PhilF51

Thanks for coming back to the thread. I am sorry for the inconvenience of the change over.

Changing to the phone service via cable is a government objective and this has to be completed by 2025, we are choosing to take the change over now to ensure all of our customers have been migrated prior to the current telephone exchange being closed down in 2025.

The below links should advise further.
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover and https://www.futureofvoice.co.uk/

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @PhilF51,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your landline connection at the moment!

Can you tell us if you have an active dial tone at all? Have you taken a look at our Landline Faults page to see if this can help with your issue?

Please take a look and let us know how you're getting on.

Thank you. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi, I have gone through the landline faults although I had already done my own checks. There is no dial tone.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @PhilF51,

Thank you for checking the Faults page again and for advising further about the dial tone. In order to investigate further, we would need to look into this via Private Message.

Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I'll be in touch with you as soon as I can to help further.

Thank you. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @PhilF51,

Thank you for coming back to me via Private Message. I'm glad that you're happy with your scheduled appointment.

Please keep us updated on how you're getting on and if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Thank you.  Although at present the engineer has not arrived. Will keep you updated.

Engineer arrived and checked the outside box. Then checked the main box a few streets away.  It appears the cable from the distribution box to our house is damaged, broken somewhere underground. He has now connected us via the Hub and the landline now works. The downside is I will have buy a different phone set up and my original desktop base station cannot be ideally be behind the TV where the Hub is located on a short lead in a corner.

Hi PhilF51

Thanks for coming back to the thread. I am sorry for the inconvenience of the change over.

Changing to the phone service via cable is a government objective and this has to be completed by 2025, we are choosing to take the change over now to ensure all of our customers have been migrated prior to the current telephone exchange being closed down in 2025.

The below links should advise further.
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover and https://www.futureofvoice.co.uk/

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill