cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Gets Engaged tone for In and Out Bound Calls

aoleary
Joining in

I have just returned from holiday and the phone is giving the Engaged tone for In and Out Bound calls when it tries to connect.

I range VM on Friday was asked to reboot the hub etc. An appt was booked for Friday and the engineer came out.

He said there was nothing he could do with the equipment and he rang another call centre (don't know which one). He then said they would contact us back withn 48 hrs.

So tonight the weekend and 48 hrs later I rang again was passed onto 2nd line support. Rebooted the hub again and was then told the REN value of the phone was too low. I smell BS.

Sound Familiar!!

Re: Hub5 needs a phone with REN1 - Virgin Media Community - 5271805

REN number? - Virgin Media Community - 5173770

We have had the phone for 3 years and been on VOIP for at least 12 months. So what has changed; nothing at our end. I can't see the REN value on the phone a Panasonic KX-TGJ420E.

This is Obviously a wider problem that VM are not owning.

VM sort it out....

7 REPLIES 7

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello aoleary

Sorry to hear of the landline issues since returning from your holiday, we appreciate the frustration and you taking the time to raise this via the forums.

We can see you spoke to the team recently in regards to this and they asked you to try a chorded handset but you didn't have one present at the time. Have you been able to try this since the call? Did it resolve the issue?

Let us know.

Rob

aoleary
Joining in

I don't have a corded handset and as one of the other forums have said no phones seem to have this legacy rating on them now.

Fundementally though there has been no change on my equipment between my phone working and my phone not working. So something MUST have changed on the VM end.

Also Why should I be out of pocket for being forced into using VOIP by VM? 

The Engineer that attended told me that  this was the third call he had attended that day with the same issue. These can't all be handset related.

It is getting to the point where I am starting to look eslewhere

Changing to the phone service via cable is a government objective and this has to be completed by 2025, we are choosing to take the change over now to ensure all of our customers have been migrated prior to the current telephone exchange being closed down in 2025.

What did the tech advise during the visit? Did they make any changes or checks?

Rob

aoleary
Joining in

No he said there was no point as it was a problem some where else. He rang a call centre while he was here and said they would get back to me within 48 hrs (they didn't).

As i said above it was the third one with the same problem that day.

I appreciate this isn't ideal aoleary, I will send you a Private Message to get some more details from you so keep an eye out for the envelope in the top right when signed into the forums.

Rob

aoleary
Joining in

Just to let the forum know. From the above PM a Senior engineer was booked to come to my house under the threat that if it was my equipment I would be charged £25. But the night before he was supposed to arrive the phone started working magically (again nothing changed on my end).  It seems whatever change had been made previously had been backed out or fixed.

Virgin stop lying to us and let us know when there are backend issues.

Hi aoleary, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that the charge has been applied and will send you a PM so that this can be looked into. 

Please look out for the message. 

Kind regards, Chris.