cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Extensions Switchover

Sappermajor
Up to speed

Hi

Change is inevitable except from vending machines.

Just received the adaptor in the post.

When we went from BT to cable many years ago, Cable and Wireless hard wired the phones into the same box that has the coax for the Hub and Set Top Box.

We have an extension upstairs as well as a phone quite close to the set top box. 

If I ring Virgin what will they do for us. If we cut the cable from Phone cable indicated by arrowPhone cable indicated by arrow the intake box how do we connect it to the Hub as it will not have a plug on it. Will they send us a connector box to connect to the cable with a lead on the other end

I think the connection from the roadside box to the house is copper not fibre will that make a difference?

Thanks for any advice. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for chatting with me via PM @Sappermajor 😊 If you need any further help after this visit, please do let us know. We are always happy to help.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Sappermajor 👋 Welcome back to our forum and thanks for your post 😊

We wouldn't recommend  you cutting any cables just to keep yourself safe. If you do need the phone to be extended this is something we can certainly arrange by having an engineer sent out for you.

I'll send you a PM to confirm your details so this can be arranged.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Sappermajor wrote:

Hi

<snip>

I think the connection from the roadside box to the house is copper not fibre will that make a difference?

Thanks for any advice. 

Where is your VM hub in relation to the phone wire shown in the photo?

This post from earlier today explains how VM links the phone socket on the hub to existing telephone sockets.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/New-fibre-landline/m-p/5306859#M190955

VM should do this free of charge as part of the switchover.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Sappermajor wrote:

Hi

When we went from BT to cable many years ago, Cable and Wireless hard wired the phones into the same box that has the coax for the Hub and Set Top Box.

There is no physical connection between the coaxial cable & phone cable inside the box. There will just be a connector from the outside phone cable to the inside one. 

We have an extension upstairs as well as a phone quite close to the set top box. 

If I ring Virgin what will they do for us. If we cut the cable from Phone cable indicated by arrowPhone cable indicated by arrow the intake box how do we connect it to the Hub as it will not have a plug on it. Will they send us a connector box to connect to the cable with a lead on the other end

A technician can connect any extension socket you have to the hub & make any other extensions live as a result. The maximum number of working phone points must not exceed 3.

& the chances are the incoming feed to the street cabinet is also copper coaxial, as is 95% of Virgins current network. You have an old C& W outlet. These go back many years before Virgin existed. In most cases the connections used are the original ones C & W put in. Cable Broadband connections over coax can achieve up to 10Gb download speeds, however the upload is restricted to a maximum of 20% of download. Hence a further upgrade to full fibre will follow in the next few years.

Thanks for any advice. 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Before NTL existed too! We have lived here a while.

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for chatting with me via PM @Sappermajor 😊 If you need any further help after this visit, please do let us know. We are always happy to help.

Regards

Nathan

Sappermajor
Up to speed

Just to say the technician arrived and connected the tails in the junction box to a new extension cable to the Hub. Very neat job and replaced the tatty C&W cover with a new VM one. So all done.

Hi @Sappermajor 

Thanks for coming back to the thread and updating us.

Glad to hear all sorted 🙂

Pop back if you need further assistance.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill