Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Phone CALL CHARGES.

I have 24/7 call plan, which of course I pay extra for.. Sometimes calls can go over an hour (especially some guv departments or utilities companies) .After 1 hr. Virgin  charge me 13.33p per minute, which definitely makes me feel like I'm being scammed . Why on earth should it be cheaper on a mobile than my landline. I'm on Giffgaff Mobile, buy a Goody bag every month and my calls with them work out at  2p p/minute. It honestly feels like Virgin, who I've been with since they started, are profiteering. Very disappointed at the high charges after the hour.. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone CALL CHARGES.

Hi rina-gee,

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community 🙂

You can find all details relating to out phone packages here

It would advise that you must re- dial before 60 minutes to avoid call charges.

Kind regards, 

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You are not being scammed. All “unlimited” type call packages come with the 60 minutes restriction no matter which provider you use. This is intended to stop abuse of the system where some people simply never hung up & kept the same call going all evening.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alex, yes I do know about the call charges. A serious point - have YOU ever been in a phone centre queue? I have, and can tell you that when a robotic voice says, " Thank you for holding, you're currently 7th in the queue" and you notice you've been on the line waiting for 56 minutes the very last thing you want to do is hang up and start over again. I know that is not Virgin's  problem. Maybe I didn't put my point across too well but my main gripe is WHY DO VIRGIN PUNISH  ME  TO THE TUNE13.33p PER MINUTE. It only cost me 2p a minute on Giffgaff whether I'm on for 1 minute or 90 minutes. THAT'S why I'm feeling peeved.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

My point wasn't about going over the 60 minutes. My gripe is that I'm being scalped at 13.33p per minute when I dare to go over the 60 minutes.. As I said, I can use Giffgaff @ 2p a minute whether I'm on for 2 minutes or 90 minutes. Compared to Giffgaff mobile it makes it seem that Virgin are profiteering..
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As a broad rule of thumb, landline unmetered (I use the word intentionally) packages come with an hour's redial limitation on most, if not all, providers. Mobiles tend to not have this, but some networks do have a forced drop at 3 or so hours.

I have some sympathies with the OP - many conference calls can extend well beyond an hour, but then I wouldn't even contemplate dialling into one of those from a landline!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As it happens I use Giffgaff for my backup mobile. A goodybag costing £6pm gives 300 minutes, £8pm gives 500 minutes and everything else from £10-£25pm has unlimited minutes. I certainly won't use my landline to make lengthy calls I can't cut off.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sensible. I liken the way VM ramp up the price per minute after an hour, to the rip off car parks. For example if you pay £3 for an hours parking but find you're 5 minutes late getting to your car you're heavily penalised - in some cases you could be charged £10 or more for the extra five minutes. Any extra time should be charged as a proportion of the hourly fee. And Virgin charging their customers such a high rate doesn't sit square with me. It makes VM seem like the Scrooges of the telephone companies, bony fingers grasping for every penny they can wring out of us. Just like local councils, and I expect better from such a big company. . . . .
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi rina-gee,

I'm very sorry to hear you are unhappy with the charges. These charges are shown within our talk plans so our customers are aware from the time they take out the call plan. 

To avoid these charges in future, simply end the call at 59 minutes and redial.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You think you are ripped off at 13p a minute & Virgin are the worst?

Lets have a hunt through some providers websites.

Sky charges 19p per minute

BT charges 20p per minute

PlusNet charges 15p per minute

Even Vodafone homephone charge 19p per minute if you exceed the hour on their landline packs.

The cost of physical lines & the popularity of mobiles has pushed the price up. Roll on 2025 when all the exchanges will be scrapped & everything goes VoIP. Then we might see some changes.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped