Menu
craigsta73
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Phantom Calls

My elderly parents who are in their 70s and are receiving regular phantom calls on their landline.  There is no number that shows just "call".  When they press 1471 it reveals a number from a call, for example, that was received days ago.  There is no one on the other end but these calls are coming through at all times of the day and even early hrs of the morning, and as such my parents have had to switch the phone up due to the calls waking them up throughout the night!

My parents have rang customer services and go through to a call center India and then gentleman was getting my mom to try different things on the phone upstairs and downstairs.  My mom got very confused and very tired of running up and down the stairs so ended up cutting the adviser off.

Can you please advise as to what these calls are and how you, Virgin, can stop them before we have to go to OFCOM with a complaint?

Thank you

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phantom Calls

Do they just get one ring only for these calls or does it ring until they answer?

There was a very similar issue to this mentioned a few weeks ago

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Short-rings-at-EXACTLY-2-11am-4-times-in-the-last-6-...

which might offer some interim help. The OP doesn't seem to have posted back after replacing the phone (although no guarantee that would be the same outcome for your problem).

Might also be worth trying the 'do not disturb' suggestion mentioned if that feature is available on the existing phone.

A member of the VM forum team will respond in due course. They can take up to a week to reply on here but are usually quicker than that.

0 Kudos
craigsta73
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

hi

thanks for your reply 

it rings 3 times and stops. its like a ghost call, with no number showing or registering on the phone.

my parents have swapped the phones and the calls still happen. there is no “do not disturb” option on the phone either. TBF it seems like its an issue with the line itself. can virgin not do a test on the line?

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

HI craigsta73

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

I am sorry to hear of the calls being received.

Please see here for further help.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
craigsta73
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

hi

thanks for the link, however as mentioned they are not real calls, theres no one on the phone and theres no number registered on 1471.

its clearly a Virgin issue; if you own the line and theres an issue with the line, are you not able you to test it?

this is causing a real problem to my parents.

thank you

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@craigsta73 wrote:

hi

thanks for your reply 

it rings 3 times and stops. its like a ghost call, with no number showing or registering on the phone.

my parents have swapped the phones and the calls still happen. there is no “do not disturb” option on the phone either. TBF it seems like its an issue with the line itself. can virgin not do a test on the line?

I'd agree, it doesn't sound like scam calls. They are not often reported in the middle of the night. If the 3 rings aspect is a consistent thing, that is unusual too. I have read in the past on a BT user forum, for a similar fault, some mention of a nightly line test feature gone awry. Don't know if VM operate anything similar like that. It took further investigation of the line to resolve that problem IIRC. Can't find the post now.

0 Kudos