Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Passed from Virgin to NowTV and back again... Keeping Landline Number... impossible?

This is starting to tick me off.

A few weeks back we opted to leave VM because of ever creeping prices and a total blackout of services (for almost two weeks). When we called to leave and asked about keeping our phone number, they said we need to contact NowTV and that Virgin Media couldn't carry on with the discontinuation of services unless we sorted this first. We contacted NowTV and they batted us back to VM. We then spoke to VM about it and was told to go back to NowTV. This is getting frustrating and just reeks of ignorance and a lack of responsibility from both sides. WHO HAS THE POWER TO RELEASE OUR OLD BT PHONE NUMBER? VM has our old number that came from the BT line, but VM and Now are just pissing us around as if it's a laughing matter. Do I really have to call two lines, stick it on loudspeaker and have VM and NowTV war it out over the phone?

I've checked the Ofcom pages and all I can see is cease and re-provide being the only option, but no party is being helpful.

Who is responsible? Does anybody know? This was originally a BT telephone number, moved over to Virgin Media many years ago when a package was installed but years later and it seems impossible to get that number to come back over to the Openreach side.

We have been with NowTV for nearly two weeks and our Virgin Media line is due to cut off on the 4th September - and despite 2 weeks of no service (broadband and telephone), no compensation was given and VM still had the cheek to charge £67 for those 2 weeks of provided service (out of 4) and had the cheek to charge a further £67 for the final 2 weeks after the direct debit date. Disgraceful.

Can somebody help us here? We'd really appreciate it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Passed from Virgin to NowTV and back again... Keeping Landline Number... impossible?

Good Afternoon LFX64,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and I'm terribly sorry to see you've been experiencing difficulty when attempting to port your phone number from ourselves to Now TV.

When customers are seeking to take their phone number to a new provider we will always seek to release the number once this has been requested from your new provider. Do you know if Now TV has requested the number port from Virgin Media at all?

What have Now TV advised in the calls? 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Passed from Virgin to NowTV and back again... Keeping Landline Number... impossible?

Sadly not because of being batted backwards and forwards. NowTV only advised me to contact you and VM advised me to contact them and from then onwards, it's been back and forth, back and forth.

How should I proceed?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

NewTV are the ones that need to request the number.
This can only be ported if the VM line is still active without a cancelation request on it.

VM can not send your number to nowtv
NOWTV have to request it. So its NowTV that are messing you about. They need to request the number

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @LFX64

I am sorry that you're having some issues with porting your number over to your new provider after wanting to leave our family. 

Our VIP @apcyberax is 100% correct - we cannot release the line to your new provided until they contact us to request it directly. We also cannot port the number to a new provided if your account has either been disconnected already or if there is any disconnection request on the line. 

The line must remain 100% active with us with no disconnection request associated with it in order for the number port to go ahead.

So - if your line is still active with us and no disconnection has been booked, you will need to return to your new provider and request that they action the number port. We cannot do this from our end. 

If your line has a disconnection request on it, please call us on 150/03454541111 so we can cancel this for you in order for your new provider to be able to action the number port from there end. 

Hope that helps. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So this basically means Virgin Media nicked a phone number off of BT and won't hand it back. I'm fairly certain once disconnected that'd get recycled back on VM's network. I'm sure it could be done without all the hassle but rivalry and pettiness n' all that. I asked about this weeks ago, but judging by what Katie says, the cancellation order would have to be removed for it to even be processed in the first place. How unbelievably messed up that is? Well, we're out of time now as the service is due to be cut off on the 4th September.

Despite having weeks of no service beforehand and VM still having charged us a full month for 2 weeks of missing service (and no compensation) and another full month service charge for the remaining two weeks past the usual direct debit date, the suggestion is to cancel the cancellation? That is a disgrace. £134 to keep an old telephone number, is basically what this equates to. No thank you.

NowTV messing me around? Perhaps, but Virgin Media are no better and have messed me around an awful lot over the past few years.

I'll stick with the new number.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@LFX64 wrote:
So this basically means Virgin Media nicked a phone number off of BT and won't hand it back. I'm fairly certain once disconnected that'd get recycled back on VM's network. I'm sure it could be done without all the hassle but rivalry and pettiness n' all that. I asked about this weeks ago, but judging by what Katie says, the cancellation order would have to be removed for it to even be processed in the first place. How unbelievably messed up that is? Well, we're out of time now as the service is due to be cut off on the 4th September.

Despite having weeks of no service beforehand and VM still having charged us a full month for 2 weeks of missing service (and no compensation) and another full month service charge for the remaining two weeks past the usual direct debit date, the suggestion is to cancel the cancellation? That is a disgrace. £134 to keep an old telephone number, is basically what this equates to. No thank you.

NowTV messing me around? Perhaps, but Virgin Media are no better and have messed me around an awful lot over the past few years.

I'll stick with the new number.

Telephone numbers are allocated in blocks to ALL operators by OFCOM & they retain that allocation even if they are ported to another operator. BT has never been allocated your old number unless it was ported from BT by you at an earlier date when you were a BT customer. Virgin have also observed OFCOMs rules if you gave notice to Virgin prior to your number being ported. The new operator must deal with the entire porting process.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Spoiler
🗣🗣🗣🗣🗣
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@LFX64 wrote:
Spoiler
🗣🗣🗣🗣🗣

Just stating the facts, & that correct procedures as per the telecom regulator were followed. If you don’t like it that’s not my problem!

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos