cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parents in 90’s - phone switch over?

lottie46
On our wavelength

Please can you give me some advice. My parents are in their 90’s and have been told their phone will be switched over to fibre soon. They are really worried as are other people in their retirement flats. They haven’t received their adapter yet. 

1. They have “care call” which I’m not sure will work with this. What will happen to this essential service they needs? 

2. Their router is by their TV and no where near their old BT phone line - what happens now? 

3. What happens if there’s a power cut and have no means of contacting anyone? 

4. What has been put in place to help the elderly? 

5. It’s near impossible to get through to anyone to get an answer. 

I’d appreciate any help with this?

Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello lottie46.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention.

Please don't worry we are here to help.

1. They have “care call” which I’m not sure will work with this. What will happen to this essential service they needs? It would be the care call company that will be fully aware of the Switch to Fibre lines. Its a government plan to upgrade all the old copper wiring by the end of 2025 . Are you able to contact the company to inform them of the switch. 

2. Their router is by their TV and no where near their old BT phone line - what happens now? 

We can arrange for one of Technicians to attend and rewire the existing socket up so nothing changes,

We have an EBUL ( Emergency Back Up Line) for Careline Customers should a power cut happen, There is a back up phone we supply that is Battery Powered.

We will be fully aware of the additional needs for our Elderly and Vulnerable customers

I am happy to help with this for you and your parents 

Full details of the switch over are available here Lottie.

Would you like me to check your parents account to put your mind at rest?

If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to obtains the account details. 
If you can check your envelope at the  top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello lottie46.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention.

Please don't worry we are here to help.

1. They have “care call” which I’m not sure will work with this. What will happen to this essential service they needs? It would be the care call company that will be fully aware of the Switch to Fibre lines. Its a government plan to upgrade all the old copper wiring by the end of 2025 . Are you able to contact the company to inform them of the switch. 

We can arrange for one of Technicians to attend and rewire the existing socket up so nothing changes,

We have an EBUL ( Emergency Back Up Line) for Careline Customers should a power cut happen, There is a back up phone we supply that is Battery Powered.

We will be fully aware of the additional needs for our Elderly and Vulnerable customers

I am happy to help with this for you and your parents 

Full details of the switch over are available here Lottie.

Would you like me to check your parents account to put your mind at rest?

If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to obtains the account details. 
If you can check your envelope at the  top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @lottie46,

Thanks for coming back to Gareth and myself over Private Messages! I'm glad that I've been able to assist with your mother's landline issue!

Glad to hear that this is all resolved now. 😊

If you need any further help or assistance, please let us know. We'll be more than happy to help.

Thank you!

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs