cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parents Home Phone Landline switch

sreynolds
Tuning in

My dad was on a call on Saturday on his landline and the phone line went dead.  No dial tone on the phone and any calls going straight to voicemail.

He got in touch with VM who said that it is part of the switch over to digital.  Fair enough, but no notice?! 

He has been told an engineer will be round in a couple of days to connect him up.  

Is there anything he needs to do before the engineer turns up or just sit tight and wait ?  Customer Service could not say why he was not notified before hand just that an engineer will be round to sort it out. ☹️

Broadband, Phone / O2 SIMO
Tp-Link, Deco S4, home mesh network
7 REPLIES 7

Arissa_H
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Sreynolds 👋🏼.

Thank you for posting, welcoming you onto our community forum 😊.

Sorry to see your dad has have no dial tone at the moment ☹.

Has your Dad received an email or letter advising when the switch date over is?

If you go onto our app, you can see when the engineer will arrive.

Please make sure someone over the age of 18 in the property at the time of the visit.

The rest the engineer will do on the day.

Thank you.

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thanks Ari

Thanks for the welcome 😊

Did not show in the app.  Spoke to the customer service team who have said that as it is a specific call out then it does not show up -- pulling wool over eyes me thinks but I have a date from them so not concerned. 

No letter or email advising of the switch over date to my knowledge.

Thank you for confirming Sreynolds 😊.

Did our team advise what date that will be?

So I can have a look into this for you, I will be private messaging you.

Please watch out of for the envelope ✉.

Thank you. 

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

KJB1
On our wavelength

Virgin Media recently cut off my landline with no notice and said it was to do with the switchover. They had made no communication with me about the switchover at all.  I didn't even know what it was until I googled it.

It took me a couple of weeks to notice as I don't use it much. I complained vociferously but VM denied my complaint. I took it to the Ombudsman who upheld my complaint and awarded me autocompensation.  There was a whole catalogue of errors with the dealing with the issue and then my complaint which may not apply to you, but if you want to take it further then you may succeed. And it will certainly send VM a message that they need to do better. 

sreynolds
Tuning in

So to all those waiting with baited breath on the outcome, see as below.  A Shout Out to Arrisa who was helpful but really let down by Virgin Media communications.

So my dad's phone stopped working.  Arrisa arranged for a tech to come round who got the phone half working, could make calls out but not in....yep I know right ?!

So cue next tech to come round and this time say "you need cordless phones, wont work with the non-cordless phone you have".  Well tested and it works with a cordless phone.....😲😖

Surely simpler to just do comms on that rather than the expense of a tech to have to come round and say it.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the update on this sreynolds,

I'm glad you've now managed to get the service to work however sincere apologies for the issues faced.

Do pop back up if you do have any future queries.

Thanks,

Kain

Hi @QE2

Think you have it.

When you call, it rings for me but not on their phone. Going to test that now.

Thanks - that's why we need the VM community. They know what the techs don't 😂😂