Menu
VictoriaSel
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Outside phoneline

Hi, moved into a new house and they had wires everywhere!

im trying to remove most of them as I’ve no need for them however I don’t know who to contact to get rid of the phone line from the outside pole.

Everything I look it up I just get not to do it yourself cuz I’ll get fined to get it replaced but I’ll never what it replaced I’ve got virgin broadband only and will never need or want a house phone

so anyone know who I can contact to get it removed and how much it’ll be thanks

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Outside phoneline

Hello

If it from a pole to the premises then that would be Openreach, as Virginmedia do not use this form of connection, Virginmedia connections are done underground and have no link to OpenReach, you will need to contact Openreach.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Here's a little thought for you. If I viewed a house that did not have a BT Openreach connection installed and potentially fully working I'd simply walk away from the viewing.  Openreach charge the earth for reinstatement when working landlines are removed. 

It is the height of selfishness to remove any external broadband or landline connection - just because you don't need it. The infrastructure is there to serve the wider community not just your fly- by-night apparent individual needs of the moment.

By all means tidy up any stray internal connections. We removed a number of surplus internal wired phone connections because we have a DECT cordless phone and because the extension sockets were inn completely the wrong place in some rooms. But please leave the main infrastructure inside and outside of your house intact.

Openreach probably won't remove the connection to and from the telephone pole anyway as they have a universal service obligation which by law they have to meet.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@VictoriaSel wrote:

Hi, moved into a new house and they had wires everywhere!

im trying to remove most of them as I’ve no need for them however I don’t know who to contact to get rid of the phone line from the outside pole.

Everything I look it up I just get not to do it yourself cuz I’ll get fined to get it replaced but I’ll never what it replaced I’ve got virgin broadband only and will never need or want a house phone

so anyone know who I can contact to get it removed and how much it’ll be thanks

You can try the contact options here

https://www.openreach.com/network-services/altering-our-network/for-consumer-and-business-customers

Removing Openreach cabling does limit your other alternatives to VM though. You may be very happy with VM at present but, if your satisfaction with VM changes in the future, you will have taken away the ability to easily switch to another provider (without going through the process of having the cabling reinstated).

VictoriaSel
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for your input and I would understand that point of view if I moved often but I’ve moved once and that’s to this house this is my forever home, the only time I’ll be moving again is when I’m died and buried and by then I’ll not acc care what the options of the new people moving in here have.

0 Kudos
VictoriaSel
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you as my family has only ever had the virgin only broadband as we don’t watch tv or have house phones so I didn’t realise some broadband providers needed the phoneline so thanks for letting me know

0 Kudos