cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options for new VOIP service when router is located in a different room to landline phone

koimad
Joining in

Hi, my landline phone is located in a different room to my router which is in my home office and cannot be relocated because of the need to have a wired connection for internet connection, also all the sockets have been used so no space for another plug.

What options are available to keep my landline phone in the same location as it is today.  Do Virgin media supply a stand alone adapter rather than using a router for the service?

Is there any wi-fi phone that will work with virgin media's VoIP service. From reading they are using CV21, which is not true VoIP, in the sense where the connection is to the phone rather than just a router. 

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@koimad wrote:

Hi, my landline phone is located in a different room to my router which is in my home office and cannot be relocated because of the need to have a wired connection for internet connection, also all the sockets have been used so no space for another plug.

What options are available to keep my landline phone in the same location as it is today.  Do Virgin media supply a stand alone adapter rather than using a router for the service?

Is there any wi-fi phone that will work with virgin media's VoIP service. From reading they are using CV21, which is not true VoIP, in the sense where the connection is to the phone rather than just a router. 

VM's 21CV phone service is not a true VOIP connection in so far as that the customer just uses an ordinary telephone plugged into the TEL1 socket on the back of the VM hub (via a socket/connector adapter provided by VM).

21-cv-connection-to-hub.jpg

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.

The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi koimad, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear about the issues you are having with the phone switchover.

I can see that you've already been in contact with the teams and they have booked an engineer to do the switchover for you. When they come you'll be able to fully discuss your needs with them and they will be able to arrange a solution. 

Please keep us posted on how things go. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs