Menu
dtwinfield
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

One hour redial

I called a free phone number as it was to the Inland Revenue. The wait time was over 1-hour. If I had a cut off I would have been put back to the end of the QUEUE. It's a bit like ringing Virgin Media for two-and-a-half hours wait then they cut you off. I have just been charged OVER FIVE  POUNDS. The word free phone number means free phone number no charge for the call. Not a charge after 1-hour this is not to normal. IF IT WAS A LOCAL CALL OR TO A MOBILE I would expect a 1 hour duration. Again Virgin are penny pinching there should be a clear announcement at 55 minutes to say say you may be charged for this call please redial or they should automatically could you off at 59 minutes so you can redial I find that after again waiting for over 1 hour to get through to Virgin to discuss this matter only to find that they say I will put this forward as a suggestion they must have a blackhole mailbox for suggestions but not for payments and CHARGES. It's about time the most people vote with their feet and when the profits go down they may LISTEN.

0 Kudos
goslow
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: One hour redial

I had understood 080 numbers were free and they are listed as such in the VM call charges download info. The HMRC numbers which turn up in online searches all seem to be 0300 numbers and they would be subject to the 60 min limit according to VM call charges download info. What was the prefix dialling code of the HMRC number you called when you were charged after the 60 min. was up?

0 Kudos
dtwinfield
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It was 0300 200 3410 

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

0300 numbers aren't free and never have been. they are classed as a local call. HMRC, certain parts of the NHS and quite a few charities use 0300 numbers too.

0 Kudos
goslow
Rising star
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@dtwinfield wrote:

It was 0300 200 3410 

That explains your 60+ min charge.

Call charging info for the different packages is here

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/phone/compare

expand the 'Show info +' link for your package to see the summary

Go to the bottom of the page and also use the x3 current 'Call Charge Details' PDFs for more details.

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi dtwinfield,

I'm sorry to hear about the charges you've received. Can you take a look at your online account to see what telephone package you have? Calls to 0300 numbers are classed as local calls and if they were made within your package there shouldn't be any charges.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos