Menu
Craig44
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Old Land Outlet

Hello, Just moved into new home, which has an existing virgin setup. Setup is Internet and telephone with phone plugged into telephone socket router. There is an existing phone line running along the skirting board which is wired into the incoming internet box. At the other end is a Telewest telephone outlet which I know from the previous owner was working. However when I plug this in I do not get a dial tone.

Question is whether this is obsolete as a result of activating connection for telephone via router and can I snip this cable and remove as a tidy up of cabling.

Thanks in advance for any info provided.

Regards

Craig

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Old Land Outlet

If you now have your phone plugged into the router the phone socket is obsolete 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Craig44
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Next question is whether I have the courage to snip the copper telephone cable even though I know it appears to be redundant. Difficult to get a definitive answer from Virgin when your landline is working via the router.
0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Craig44,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting.

Just double checked this for you- if your current telephone line is connected via the Hub then you can snip the copper cable and remove it since you won't be using it again. 

Hope that helps. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Craig44
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou for a quick response. Snips at the ready 🙂
0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Haha go for it 😉 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos