Menu
andypratt182
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Old BT Home phone number not transfered

I joined Virgin for the first time on 10th June. My home phone number has still not been transferred to Virgin. Haven't heard anything from Virgin to say there was any sort of a problem. I've only realised this when I received another bill from BT for £54.99, so a new customer only a couple of weeks into my contract and it's already cost me and extra £54.99. Spent over 3 hours today trying to get through to customer services, I understand they may be short on manpower but over 3 hours.....

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Old BT Home phone number not transfered

Hi Andy, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue looked into with your landline port. I am sorry you've had trouble getting through to the team, but you've come to the right place to get further assistance. 

Can I ask who your previous provider was please?

Have you contacted them to see what happened when you left them?

Did they perform the port over to us?

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
andypratt182
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan,

My old provider was BT. I spoke with them at the start of June to cancel my contract but was told that if Virgin were porting my number there was no need to cancel as it would be done automatically and that way I wouldn't loose any service if there was a problem.

I will contact them today, I assumed if there was any problem Virgin would have contacted me.

Thanks Andy

0 Kudos
Melissa_F
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andy,

Have you managed to speak to BT?

When we submit a port request, there are usually no delays except for when the order gets rejected. There are many reasons for this such as if you are moving address or if the line is inactive. If it's inactive, we wouldn't be able to port as it has to be active for us to transfer.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
andypratt182
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Managed to speak to BT, they knew nothing about a port, nothing was requested. I also managed to speak to someone from Virgin on the phone a few days ago, he has done a form to get the number transferred and said it would take a maximum of 12 days, received a text from Virgin to say it would happen on the 28th of the month so if it happens problem solved, apart from the fact I'll have to pay another BT bill at 54.99, I did try explaining that over the phone but the person on the other side had no interest whatsoever, so all in I'm now £109.98 out of pocket to make the switch to Virgin. I think its safe to say when the 12 month contract is up the router and external connection box (that's an eye sore) will be ripped out, obviously in the hope of not damaging any of Virgin equipment

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It IS actually good advice to overlap your services when moving to Virgin. You will see many complaints here where people have signed up only to find there are issues with the ducting outside. The installation gets delayed, & because they have cancelled their old providers services they are left without anything.

You take the chance either way.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks