Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Number porting from EE to Virgin Media

Hello.

I recently signed up with Virgin Media. I was pretty sure I chose to port my old landline number from EE during the online sign up process... According to customer services this was not the case?

I contacted them to see if the number could be retained. Upon contacting my old Provider (EE) they claimed that my old service had ceased. However, they have said they have retained the number and are waiting for Virgin to port the number. 

I have just received a call from VM customer services, asking me to contact Openreach/BT to request the number to be released in anticipation of it being ported to Virgin. I explained I was not a customer of them and after speaking to their customer services team they have advised the number can be ported whether it is active or not

I assume my old number is still there somewhere and has not yet been assigned to a new customer on another network. If this is the case, can anyone on the forum please help? I am finding the customer services on the phone very unhelpful. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Number porting from EE to Virgin Media

VM CS agents getting it wrong again. An inactive number cannot be ported as under OFCOM rules it has to be released when the customer account is closed. Even a pending closure can stop a number port.

Most providers won’t hang onto a number after account closure, so you will just have to hope you don’t lose it.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Celldweller,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear of the service received.

Is the number with your old provider still active? If not, we wouldn't be able to port it to us I'm afraid. If it is, please let me know and we can assist further.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi

The number is not active. However, both EE and BT have said Virgin can still apply for the number even though it isn't a number being used. 

Can I ask how come a similar query to mine has been actioned?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me Celldweller.

I'll send you a PM to discuss this and I'll do my best but as per the number not being active, I do need to set your expectations this should not be able to be ported.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos