Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Number port question

I currently have a Virgin Media landline, and up until about a week ago also had a BT line at the same address but have now deactivated that number (the BT services have been moved to a new address).

The deactivated BT number was originally with Virgin Media (actually NTL as it was back then), so as I understand Virgin Media still "own" this deactivated number. I called customer services to ask if they could port this deactivated number to my existing Virgin Media line (which BT advised me should be possible) but was told this can't now be done. Given that Virgin Media "own" the number and it's currently not allocated to anybody (and up until a week ago I had the number in my name with another provider), I don't understand why the number cannot now be ported. If anyone can pls help further that would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Number port question

Hello

The information is correct as you can only port an active line, if the line has been deactivated that number will be return to the pool that is held by openreach.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. I thought Virgin Media doesn't use Openreach though, and so if the number is managed/owned (whatever the correct term is) by Virgin Media then should it not be available for Virgin Media to use again? (This is what the BT Openreach person I spoke to told me.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Although they dont use OpenReach it is OpenReach who mange the numbers so once a number is released it goes back too the OpenReach pool.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks