cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number port process?

Frogprince
Tuning in

New to VM, 50mbs BB and Phoneline activation date is 29/7/23. 

When the VM agent visited on 6/7/23 we were told that the BT number could be moved over to VM and you would also cancel the Sky BB that we also had. (yes 2 seperate accounts and suppliers)

we got the emails with pre contract same day everything fine.

on 7/7/23 we recieved a text from the agent that sold the package, saying that he had succesfully ported the number from BT and it should also cancel Sky BB.

Then on 8/7/23 recieved a text and email with our new number that is a VM number not the BT number we were told we would keep.

Is this normal and part of the process? and is the new VM number we have been given temporary and the BT number is still being ported?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Frogprince thanks for your post here in the Community - welcome! We're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised here.

So generally, only a successful number port will cancel the previous provider's landline service (as soon as the port completes after 14 days, your old landline account will close down).

However, this and having active broadband elsewhere doesn't generally close down broadband services with another provider, so this is slightly concerning you've been advised of this. To play things safe, I would advise you call Sky directly just to make sure of this, and if not, you can at least schedule your disconnection with them.

In terms of your landline, @Roger_Gooner is correct that ports can take up to 14 days to go through. Generally, you need to keep your landline number with your previous provider active (which it seems you have) and when the port is complete as previously mentioned, the landline account closes automatically.

We hope this helps and any further questions, please let us know. 

Many thanks

Tom_W

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Ports can take up to 14 days to go through, so in the meantime you are given a temporary number.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Frogprince thanks for your post here in the Community - welcome! We're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised here.

So generally, only a successful number port will cancel the previous provider's landline service (as soon as the port completes after 14 days, your old landline account will close down).

However, this and having active broadband elsewhere doesn't generally close down broadband services with another provider, so this is slightly concerning you've been advised of this. To play things safe, I would advise you call Sky directly just to make sure of this, and if not, you can at least schedule your disconnection with them.

In terms of your landline, @Roger_Gooner is correct that ports can take up to 14 days to go through. Generally, you need to keep your landline number with your previous provider active (which it seems you have) and when the port is complete as previously mentioned, the landline account closes automatically.

We hope this helps and any further questions, please let us know. 

Many thanks

Tom_W

Baz
On our wavelength

You need to get that information about delays and temporary numbers onto the website. Remove all the endless marketing clutter about upgrades and just put down the facts so that Customers know where they stand.
When you have done that get the O2 mobile number porting details on the website sorted. At the moment it bears NO RELATIONSHIP to what actually happens. 

AMCross
On our wavelength

Baz agree 100% still waiting for an email from virgin about porting paying for a phone line from VM but also still with sky cant get anywhere with VM 

Hi there @AMCross 👋 Welcome back to our forum and thanks for your post 😊

Sorry to see that you've been having issues with your number port. Would you mind expanding on what's been going on with this? We'll certainly be happy to help once we know a little more about the situation.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

AMCross
On our wavelength

every time i deal with VM we have an issue

signed up for a new contract stream box BB 1g and phone

stream box arrives BUT nothing about porting my number

AMCross
On our wavelength

Telephone:
+ Text Relay Discount
+ Weekend chatter
+ Telephone Line Rental

Thanks for your reply, sorry to see there's been no update on your number port.

I'll be happy to investigate this for you to find out the status of this port. I'll send you a PM to confirm your details so this can be done.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules