Menu
leamlanelinz
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Nuisance calls

Hello Everyone,

I've always received the odd nuisance call but today it is absolutely unbearable. Since 0750 the phone has been ringing off the hook. I've stopped answering now but it's a Indian voice telling me that there is suspicious activity on my Virgin Media internet line. They are actually quite rude and abrupt when you challenge them too. I've started making a note of the numbers now - so far this morning I've had - 

01292 262788

01950 478496

01292 262654

01293 458696

It's really getting on my nerves now as I'm trying to work from home. 

Is there anything that can be done?

Thanks

HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Nuisance calls

Here's the short answer - no!

I should explain. he numbers are spoofed or copied from the numbers of real subscribers. Blocking spoofed numbers would have the effect of denying service to genuine landline phone users - both incoming and outgoing calls. No telco will do that. You would want it either.

The blocks of telephone numbers allocated to UK telcos are in the public domain. All the scammers have to do is work through them using auto-diallers. 

Most of the scammers are outside of UK jurisdiction, in places where the rule of law is weak or governments don't care.

You could spend money buying a commercial call blocker to screen calls. Or you could wait until the attack passes, as it will.

Btw, while writing this I had a scam call on my BT line. All telcos are affected.

It's all rather gloomy and made worse by the fact we are at home so the calls get answered or at least noticed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Nuisance calls

Entering into conversation with them is also a bad idea, as your number is then flagged by the scammers as responsive. These numbers are then circulated to other scam operations, & hence your calls ramp up.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks