Menu
daveydear
Dialled in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Nuisance calls

All of a sudden I am getting daily calls from strange numbers. Some of them appear to have local area codes, eg 0121, 01992, 01636 others appear to be mobile 07790, 07845 and others are identified on caller ID as  international.

If I google the ones that appear from the UK , the ' whole 'number has references to India.

So could anyone answer me two questions, is it possible all these calls are international and is it possible for Virgin to block all international calls.

Thanks in advance : )

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Nuisance calls

@daveydear wrote:

All of a sudden I am getting daily calls from strange numbers. Some of them appear to have local area codes, eg 0121, 01992, 01636 others appear to be mobile 07790, 07845 and others are identified on caller ID as  international.

If I google the ones that appear from the UK , the ' whole 'number has references to India.

So could anyone answer me two questions, is it possible all these calls are international and is it possible for Virgin to block all international calls.

Thanks in advance : )

The simple answer is no. The calls cannot be blocked. These are scammers using VoIP kit to route calls through the internet to servers in the UK, & then onto our antiquated analogue phone system. They are either non existent numbers or have been cloned from genuine household or business numbers that have nothing to do with the scam.

Blocking these numbers would block genuine calls, so is not undertaken. To stop the calls faking the ID requires both caller & recipient have to be digital format, so that internet handshake software can verify both parties. Roll on 2025 when all analogue phone services cease.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

daveydear
Dialled in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks nodrogd for your great explanation, I guess I will have to put up with these calls. Thanks again much appreciated : )

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Have a look at a device, or a phone, which screens your calls for you such as trueCall or some of the phone ranges from BT.

In the call screening process, known callers in your phone address book get straight through but unknown callers are challenged to press a specific phone key and/or state who they are before your phone is allowed to ring. The automated diallers cannot respond to this and the call is screened out without ringing your phone.

0 Kudos