Menu
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Nuisance calls

Hi how

Do I stop nuisance silent calls on my landline. 

I do have a gigaset cordless so am able to block unwanted calls on their. I've signed to tps which doesn't appear to be stopping sales calls or silent calls. I pay for virgins withheld numbers reject service aswell as call display. Do you have any plans to implement any call blocking facility at your end? All the nuisance calls I keep receiving are annoying. I have to keep manually blocking them on my gigaset cordless as and when we receive them 🙁

J.H
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Nuisance calls

Blocking individual numbers is of minimal (no) use for the current wave of automated spam calls doing the rounds. This is because the Caller ID numbers are fake and spoofed for each individual call and so are constantly changing.

There have been a couple of recent discussions here regarding call blocking and screening devices (either standalone or built into newer models of cordless phones).

There does, however, seem to be some variability as to which devices will/will not work reliably on a VM phone connection and whether that connection is a conventional telephone wall socket or a phone connection via the back of the VM hub.

Have a look at the links below for some recent info. which may help you.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/How-do-I-change-my-Virgin-Media-landline-phone-numbe...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/BT-Premiun-Phone-handset-Trucall-and-VOIP/td-p/43405...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

Thank you for your assistance. 

I will continue to block nuisance calls on my cordless as and when I am able to. I've also got the options virgin currently offer. Eg withheld caller reject & caller display. Hopefully virgin will implement some software into their systems to prevent these annoying nuisance calls. They are becoming more frequent 🙁

J.H
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You might have a long wait before any more VM system changes are put in place.

Before getting a call blocker, I configured my own Gigaset cordless so that everyone I had in my contacts list on the phone was tagged as a 'VIP' caller. In the settings on the Gigaset, it was possible to give VIP callers one ring tone and all others another ring tone.

This way I could easily tell if the call was from a known or unknown person and either answer or ignore it based on the ring tone. You could maybe do something similar on your Gigaset cordless.

This worked OK for a while until the volume of spam calls became too frequent!