Menu
urbanspaceman
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Nuisance Calls despite Anonymous caller rejection

We have been receiving a number of nuisance calls from "unavailable" numbers - usually the sort of scam calls that say our internet will be disconnected. These calls almost always occur mid-morning, disturbing us if we are having a lie in! We don't answer these calls, but the phone still rings, and goes to our answer phone. I have an elderly mother in a care home, so unplugging the phone overnight is not a good option...

So a few days I requested the  "Anonymous Caller Rejection" Service, which was available for an extra fee.

However we are STILL getting these calls! The feature works, as I have tested it by dialling our landline number from my mobile and pre-fixing the number with 141 - but we are STILL getting the scam calls!

Surely there must be some way to block these calls? I have tried calling VM numerous times, but mostly it is impossible to get through to speak to anybody!

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Nuisance Calls despite Anonymous caller rejection

Thanks for the post Urbanspaceman.

The feature quoted would not allow withheld numbers but this doesn't include unknown numbers. 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
urbanspaceman
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks

Is there anyway of rejecting "unknown" numbers? (what does this term even mean? surely every incoming call will have some sort of number associated with it - unless 141 is used to block it?)

If not, there should be a feature to block unknown, or invalid numbers!

We are now paying for a feature that does not solve our problem, and I can't get through to anyone to ask for the feature to be turned off....... 

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update, the telephone preference service should include something to help with this.

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
goslow
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@urbanspaceman wrote:

<snip>

Is there anyway of rejecting "unknown" numbers? (what does this term even mean? surely every incoming call will have some sort of number associated with it - unless 141 is used to block it?)

If not, there should be a feature to block unknown, or invalid numbers!

We are now paying for a feature that does not solve our problem, and I can't get through to anyone to ask for the feature to be turned off....... 

Similar issue discussed at some length last week here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Fraud-phone-calls/m-p/4511979

with various options and workarounds discussed.

0 Kudos
urbanspaceman
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all the comments!

No easy answer, it seems....best option looks to be the True-Call device, but really don't want to spend £100 then an extra £20 a year....I might have to use the VIP function on our BT Answer phone - friends and family get a VIP code - everybody else is screened and goes to answerphone...

VM really ought to offer a free (or cheap!) option to solve this increasingly common problem!

goslow
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

In the case of the trueCall device, the £20 p.a. for the 'weblink' service is free for year 1 with a new device. It is optional after that. The unit can be easily configured from the phone handset and does not require the weblink service to work.

0 Kudos
urbanspaceman
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all the replies!

I have found a "work-around" which I have been using for a week now, and have had no nuisance calls.

What I have done is to use our answer machine (BT Paragon 400) in "VIP" mode. In this mode, when someone calls, the call is answered silently after two rings (that only the caller hears). The caller then hears a message I have recorded saying that call screening is active, and if they want to speak to us, to press two numbers (which are given in the message). If if the caller presses the two digit code, our phone rings as normal or goes to answer machine after 30s.

If the caller does not press the two digits, the call is answered immediately and silently by the answer machine, and we are not disturbed! In practice, the scam callers do not leave a message, so we have a blank message with an "unrecognised" phone number that can just be deleted! Auto-diallers cannot press the required two digits, so are screened out!

A slightly messy solution - but so far it is working like a dream - and with no extra equipment or costs!

goslow
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like a great workaround fix using your existing equipment and at no cost too. A good result!

0 Kudos
Natalie_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi urbanspaceman,

Thank you very much for sharing your work around with the Community. 

I must say, it is a very good idea and I am really happy this is working for you 🙂 

We have taken your feedback regarding the service and what's available and passed it on to the relevant team. 

Thanks again, have a lovely Christmas.

Nat
0 Kudos