Menu
Rylapar
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Nuisance Calls - I Request a Change of Phone Number

Since weekend, I am being bombarded with phone calls purporting to be Virgin Media, silent or abandoned calls.

It is driving us mad and we want to change our number as soon as possible - as I believe this is a Virgin Media data breach.

The calls start before 8am and continue all day. Each time a different number is displayed, but if we speak, then a nice foreign voice introduces themselves as Virgin Media.

I have pressed them to ask me for my security details but they then abandon the call.

I have reported the calls to Offcom - and in addition I have had phishing emails, allegedly from Virgin Media.

Please can someone assist - this is not amusing

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Nuisance Calls - I Request a Change of Phone Number

Your best bet to deal with the scam calls is to get a call screening and blocking phone or a separate blocking device.

The scam calls are generated by auto-diallers which ring sequences of numbers automatically, not as a result of a data breach. The scam calls can potentially affect all numbers across all telecoms providers.

If you are lucky, changing the number may give you some temporary respite but may possibly bring with it its own problems. See two example posts below for potential issues which have happened to others. 'New' numbers are not actually 'new'.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Changing-my-landline-number/m-p/4430198#M140302

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Changing-my-land-line-number/td-p/4480604

The recent post below from @Azzer describes using a BT blocking phone.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/7-spam-calls-today-supposedly-from-Virginmedia/m-p/4...

I use the trueCall standalone device and it has eliminated the scam calls on my line during 5 months of use.

Keeping your number also means you don't have to update all of your genuine contacts of a change of number.

Rylapar
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The calls are spoofing, which is really frustrating. 

I called one number back yesterday and got some poor unsuspecting person in Wakefield.....

I am ex-directory and also registered with the TPF yet these have been bombarding me all week.

I strung one caller along this afternoon and they are trying to get into my router and PC's - I have reported this element separately as well.

They fall to pieces when you ask them to go through the normal Virgin media security checks..... 5 times I asked the caller to go through security to prove they were Virgin media.....this was after I found out what they were trying to do.

If I was an old person, this would be threatening and confusing. 

As it was I told them I did not believe they were VM and surprise surprise they hung up.

Don't know where to go tbh, as I don't want another disturbed night. I need the phone for emergencies as I have elderly at risk family. 

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Unfortunately TPS and ex-directory only help for very limited things but not automated scam calls.

Depending on what kind of phone you have, there are a few suggestions here which you might be able to use with your phone as-is to help minimise the impact of the scam calls.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/High-number-of-nuisance-scam-calls/m-p/4451594#M1412...

Some phones also have a specific function to block withheld numbers (but can unintentionally block calls from doctors and hospitals who sometimes withhold their number, so be aware of that). Some also allow you to block a specific range with a 2 digit prefix e.g. 04 which is presently a reserved range but does sometimes pop up as a fake caller ID.

Check out your phone manual to see what existing features you have which might help.