cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy landline (crackling noise).

greyrocker
Joining in

Hi all. My VM landline is completely unusable, due to the horrendous noise that drowns out the dialling tone. I've been going round in circles with the help and support, having tried the suggestions provided with no luck at all. I've got a mobile (calling 150 doesn't work), but we need the landline working too. Can anyone please help, or point me in a different direction? 🙄 

7 REPLIES 7

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

Check for local faults on 0800 561 0061. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Thank you. Called, but no local issues.....

Hi @greyrocker 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community. Sorry to hear of the noisy line and we'll do our best to get this fixed for you. There are no reported issues from the system diagnosis ran, can you confirm, is this all the time during calls or even before dialling a number?

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thank you, John. The noise drowns out the dialling tone almost completely, so making a call is impossible. Incoming calls can't be answered because this noise is so loud that you can't hear the caller!

Hi @greyrocker 

Thanks for coming back to me. Are you plugged into the Master Socket or an extension? 

Have you got three or less items plugged into the phone please? Please also check the below;

• Check the phone is seated in the base unit correctly & powered on. 
• Remove all other equipment connected to telephone sockets. 
• Requests you unplugs your phone & checks another phone directly into the main socket ensuring this is a VM socket and not the one with BT or Sky logo. If no alternative handset available then ensure the original phone is plugged into the main socket with no other pieces of equipment being plugged in.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John. Yes, it's plugged into the master socket (Telewest Broadband - now Virgin!), and I've unplugged all the cordless bases, tried 2 different phones, and still have the noise.

Thanks for confirming. You'll need a tech in this case.

I'll send you a PM now.

Best

John_GS
Forum Team