Menu
ChrisM13
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Noisy Home phone - internal wiring issue?

Is it possible to check the line quality direct from the Hub or master socket, to see if the problem is caused by my internal wiring?  The BT sockets had a test socket behind the cover that you could use I think 

0 Kudos
Richw1982
Rising star
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Noisy Home phone - internal wiring issue?

Hi, The Virgin Master socket has a detachable front as well which should disconnect your extensions and allow the main line in to be tested.

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences
goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@ChrisM13 wrote:

Is it possible to check the line quality direct from the Hub or master socket, to see if the problem is caused by my internal wiring?  The BT sockets had a test socket behind the cover that you could use I think 

Some older VM master sockets should have the removable faceplate as per the photo at the bottom of this page

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/broadband-phone/guide-to-phone-sockets

Removing the front face plate should disconnect any extension wiring.

How do you connect your phone at present? Via a conventional telephone wall socket or via the back of the hub?

0 Kudos
ChrisM13
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Cheers - done that. and we still have a nasty buzz. The installer thought it was our handset but we've tried a couple now and have the same issue... sounds like a call to faults tomorrow 😞
0 Kudos
ChrisM13
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

conventional wall socket... there is a lead out from the hub to the VM socket, which is effectively a "doubler" so that plugs into the socket and we plug into that.

I've removed the panel and plugged the phone into the test socket but still have the same buzz
0 Kudos
goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@ChrisM13 wrote:
conventional wall socket... there is a lead out from the hub to the VM socket, which is effectively a "doubler" so that plugs into the socket and we plug into that.

I've removed the panel and plugged the phone into the test socket but still have the same buzz

So are you actually receiving the VM phone service from the back of the VM hub (a 21CV connection) but then using a lead from the hub to your original wall sockets to 'back-feed' the phone connection from the hub to existing telephone sockets around the home?

Like this adapter here?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/HUB3-to-Master-socket-adaptor/m-p/4507007#M143805

0 Kudos
ChrisM13
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

yes thats the one

0 Kudos
goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

OK, well if your VM phone connection is actually coming via the VM hub (and you are back-feeding that connection into older telephone wall sockets via that adapter lead) then your test to see if you have an internal wiring problem would be to leave the adapter lead plugged in at the hub end but unplug the 'doubler' from the telephone wall socket and just leave a phone plugged in to the 'doubler'.

That way you would have just one phone connected direct into the hub via the 'doubler'/adapter lead and no other internal wiring connected.

If the noise goes away then that suggests you may have an issue with the internal wiring.

0 Kudos
chaoshusky
Dialled in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

So that's how they have been 'back-feeding' the socket? I don't even have the doubler, plus my wall socket had been cut when the line was upgraded in Feb last year (just before the first lockdown - we should have had Gigabit by now if it wasn't for the pandemic!) but that's besides the point..

Anyway, yes, the most obvious way to test if its your wiring would be to connect your land line phone directly to the back of your Hub through the 'doubler'. On mine it's a standard pair of RJ11 sockets, so if you have an old DSL modem cable anywhere (RJ-11 to RJ-11) this could also work! Though as i don't have one i'm unsure of Virgin's pinouts!

Kind regards,

Lee

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi ChrisM13,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums. Sorry to hear that you have been having issues with your landline. Have you been able to speak to the faults team since your post? If not, then I have also sent you a private message to confirm your account detals.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos