cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No working phone line since joining Virgin 2 weeks ago!

LisaWealthall
Joining in

We joined Virgin for the 1st time 2 weeks ago, everything is fine apart from having no working phone line since. An engineer has been out and checked the equipment, all fine, the line is showing as working but when you call someone the line has a busy tone and the person you have rung just gets an instant missed call and when they ring the home phone they get cut off as soon as we answer and we have a busy tone. Also we have constant missed calls showing on the handset but have no audible ringing? We have a disabled daughter and have frequents calls from the hospital and consultants to the home number so we are now unable to know if we have missed anything important, virgin don’t seem to really care, telling us on one occasion to borrow a phone from a neighbour as it’s obviously our equipment (which was working perfectly fine the day before the change)  and I’m hoping we are not going to be charged for the last 2 weeks and ongoing for a service which isn’t working! Any ideas on what to do next?

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@LisaWealthall wrote:

We joined Virgin for the 1st time 2 weeks ago, everything is fine apart from having no working phone line since. An engineer has been out and checked the equipment, all fine, the line is showing as working but when you call someone the line has a busy tone and the person you have rung just gets an instant missed call and when they ring the home phone they get cut off as soon as we answer and we have a busy tone. Also we have constant missed calls showing on the handset but have no audible ringing? We have a disabled daughter and have frequents calls from the hospital and consultants to the home number so we are now unable to know if we have missed anything important, virgin don’t seem to really care, telling us on one occasion to borrow a phone from a neighbour as it’s obviously our equipment (which was working perfectly fine the day before the change)  and I’m hoping we are not going to be charged for the last 2 weeks and ongoing for a service which isn’t working! Any ideas on what to do next?

If you are using a Hub 5 (and possibly a BT phone handset), this below is likely to be the cause of your 'missed calls' issue

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Constant-quot-no-number-calls-quot-since-moving-to-I...

When you moved to VM, did you port an existing number over from your previous provider?

While you wait for VM to fix the problem, you are entitled to compensation of £5.25 per day from your failed activation date

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

or £8.40 per day if you used the 'Quick Start' route (subject to the T&Cs above)

Hi thanks for answering, yes we ported a number over from sky and that has been checked they say, as this was the 1st thing they said could be wrong but by all accounts the porting over went fine so I’m at a loss as to what it is and so is VM it seems.

Hi @LisaWealthall 

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts. 

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your landline switching over to our services. We can understand the inconvenience caused especially for your daughter. To best look into this, I have sent a private message. Please look out for the purple envelope and provide a response when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@LisaWealthall wrote:

Hi thanks for answering, yes we ported a number over from sky and that has been checked they say, as this was the 1st thing they said could be wrong but by all accounts the porting over went fine so I’m at a loss as to what it is and so is VM it seems.

Usual process for a number port is that VM gives you a temporary number on the line while you wait for the number port to happen. You should be able to use the temporary number normally for inbound/outbound calls. Were you ever able to use the line at all with a temporary number when first set up?

Once the number port completes, the temporary number is automatically replaced by your ported number and the line should work normally via your ported number. Sounds like something has gone wrong with your number port or your line was never set up correctly in the first place.

This normally requires VM to refer to higher levels of internal support. Hopefully the forum staff can resolve for you via PM.

Glad to have been able to help with this 🙂 Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs